Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

What do I need to change a wheel stud?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 01:58 PM
mike_wiz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to change a wheel stud?

A wheel stud broke off the front tire the other day. 2000 Grand Caravan. What will I need need to pull it out and put in a new one?

Old 04-25-2006, 12:31 PM
wraithyvan
Default RE: What do I need to change a wheel stud?

take tire off,,, to do that you will need to jack up van and safely support it, take brake rotor off (not sure of the type of rotor the van uses as I have not had it off yet) either pound the stud off the rotor or off the spindal.
align broken wheel stud with a space behind the spindal so it can clear when you it it with a big mutherfcknhammer BMF
pound out the stud.

place new stud in the hole as best you can and as far as you can couple taps with hammer on a scocket on the new stud.
then put on a bunch of washers and the wheel nut and tighten it up pulling the stud into it's seated position or close to it.
put tire on and bolt up lug nuts to proper torque.
you'll notice that it may take extra turn to get the new stud torqued to spec this is cause it is fitting into it's seated position.
good luck

Old 04-25-2006, 03:03 PM
mike_wiz

Thanks for the reply, I'm going in the shop right now to get it done. I was hoping I did not have to remove the whole hub.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:15 PM
webbee
Professional

It's best to take the hub off and press the stud off/in. You can ruin the bearings if you knock too hard on the stud.

Quick Reply: What do I need to change a wheel stud?