Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Help...99 Caravan Front Wheels Squeaking/Chirping Only While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 09:34 AM
blaznblue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...99 Caravan Front Wheels Squeaking/Chirping Only While Driving

HELP

I have a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.3 engine. I recently purchase it and initially I replaced both front brake rotors and pads. As soon as I did that I noticed that the front cv joints were clicking. Car had 110k and I go on long trips and didn't trust past owner.

Anyway, while replacing both cv joints I replace ball joints and tie rods (both sides). I soon then had the car aligned and had no chirping/squeaking for about 40 miles. Then I heard the rear wheel bearing whining so I replace that.

As soon as I did that I could hear the drivers side wheel bearing whining so becasue I just got the vehicle and long trips I replace both fron wheel bearings. I had to take off the abs sensors and the calipers to change the hub bearing assembly.

Just as soon as I was done I heard the drivers side (louder than passenger) and passenger side wheel areas squeak and chirp; the sound get progressively louder with vehicle speed and starts at about 10 mph. Initially I tightened the hub nut on both sides, but nothing worked. So I looked for any TSB to no avail.

I tried one more thing...I jacked the vehicle up and then I untighted the hub nut and lug nuts (unload bearings and cv joint). I hand tightened the lugs and lowered vehicle. Then I tighted the hub nut to manufact. specs. I still had a squeaking/chirping sound.

Has anyone had a similar problem or encounted this problem?

Could I have damaged the cv axle? Wheel bearings?

(it doesn't seem like it though, this is my 6th dodge and third between 1996 and 2000 models minivan and I recently replaced my 1996 Plymouth Voyager's cv joint with no problem.)

Please help me...I am going crazy trying to figure this out and listening to this chirp.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:06 AM
99Sport33L
Rookie
Default RE: Help...99 Caravan Front Wheels Squeaking/Chirping Only While Driving

I have the 99 Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L and I heard squeaking when I was driving on the highway. The sound reflected off the side barrier. But I don't hear it when driving regular in the city. I hope this isn't a serious problem.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:16 AM
blaznblue
Default RE: Help...99 Caravan Front Wheels Squeaking/Chirping Only While Driving

I don't think it is (all new parts), but it is annoying and I want to figure it out especially because notice at all speeds.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:13 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

One time while replacing rotors on my 97GC a small chunk of rust got behind the rotor and it wasn't sitting flat on the hub. Besides a subtle vibration it also caused a chirp at almost all speeds. Cleaned and reset the rotor and it went away.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:35 PM
blaznblue

Turns out to be metal hub caps that I used from my older 1994 plymouth voyager. I did go back and clean mounting surface area for hub to rotor and rotor to wheel (helped a little). All gone now that I used some plastic hub caps... Thanks for your help.

Old 05-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Boymom1856
Default Hope u see this i have the chirping/squealing 03 caravan

So I have a 03 Dodge caravan and all of the sudden started having a chirp chirp chirp chirp coming from the driver side tire area while driving straight originally it would stop when I break but now when I break it becomes a squeal like also it stops when I turn the corner it would be so helpful if somebody actually knows what this is

Old 05-13-2022, 03:25 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

This is a 6 year old post, You should have started a new post on your complaint. First thing I would want to know. have you done any repairs yet?

Quick Reply: Help...99 Caravan Front Wheels Squeaking/Chirping Only While Driving