Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 Caravan suddenly quits while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 04:17 PM
tomfrazier
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Caravan suddenly quits while driving.

Hi,

I have a 96 Grand Caravan LE with 160k mi. 3.3L engine with intermittent quiting and starting problems.

Please read the entire post before responding.

I mostly drive the Caravan back and forth to work about 14 miles each way.

I will list the facts, problems and what I have done:

When the engine runs it runs great. When it quits it just quits. No warning like running rough, no loss of power, no hesitating no nothing.

The check engine light does not come on and there are no trouble codes that come up when I check them using the check engine flash test.

For the last 6 weeks the engine intermittently but spontaneously quits almost daily without warning while driving. This happens at all speeds, steady highway, slowing down, stopped or speeding up, it happens when the engine is cold, warming up and hot. When it quits, it usualy starts right back up again but sometimes it takes cranking the engine several times (5-6) for it to start. After it starts eveything is fine for a few miles and then it quits again.

Normally it starts right up when cold, but twice it didn't want to start after sitting for 8-12 hours. It took 7 or 8 tries to start the van.

Twice the transmission wouldn't go into 3 gear/OD after the engine quit until I shut off the engine again and restarted it. (glitch or TCM?)

Here is what I have done to the van recently:

I thought that maybe it was the fuel pump even though the pressure was fine so about 4 weeks ago I replaced the fuel pump and filter. This didn't solve the problem.

2 weeks ago I replace the ignition cylinder but not the switch. Key would not turn all the way through any more to crank the van.

The EGR solenoid/valve assembly, MAP sensor, spark plugs and wires were replaced about 6 month ago. This was due to very rough running. The EGR Solenoid broke while repairing map sensor and sparkplugs so it was replaced and probably needed it anyway.

Cam sensor was replaced a 2 years ago. Hmm, can't remember why though???

Transmission was replaced at 140k with a remanufactured one. Yes indeed, I actually got 140k out of the transmission.

So what could it be???

Could it be another sensor maybe the Oxygen Sensors the Throttle Position Sensor or Automatic Shutdown Sensor?

Could it be the Powertrain Control Module PCM/Computer or maybe the Transmission Control Module TCM? (Would the TCM cause the engine to just quit?)

Thanks for you help,
Tom F

Old 09-15-2006, 01:09 AM
greaseangel
Professional
Default RE: 96 Caravan suddenly quits while driving.

I'd say maybe the PCM, but here's a simple, almost stupid question: have you checked your battery cables? How about the wires from the fuse box going elsewhere? There could be corrosion inside the insulation that you can't see. Turned out to be my problem anyway. On my moms car, she has trouble with corrosion on the terminals, and it causes that. Anyhow, that's something to check while the more knowlegable members here are pondering.

BTW-- I have 215K on my original tranny. Guess I got THE good one

Old 09-16-2006, 03:39 PM
tomfrazier
Default RE: 96 Caravan suddenly quits while driving.

Based on the majority of the replies and recommendations on this and/or other forums...

Last night I replaced the Crank Position sensor with a new one. I got the sensor from the dealer based on recommendations from others. It seems that OEM sensors are of much better quality than aftermarket sensors although, I have had no problem with my after market "NAPA Auto Parts" cam sensor that I replaced about 2 years ago.

I've driven the van about 30 miles or so since last night without it stalling. We'll see what happens in the next few days.

Here is one other bit of interesting information that I found:

Quote: To introduce an element of the bizarre, consider factory bulletin No. 18-16-96, which applies only to 1996 Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler vans: "Some vehicles may experience intermittent driveability concerns or problems when driven in close proximity to military or air traffic control radar installations." The cure is to install a "hardened" CKP (part No. 4727336).

I drive right past an Airforce Base to get to and from work.

To all who responded. Many Thanks

Tom F

Quick Reply: 96 Caravan suddenly quits while driving.