Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission fluid additives

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 04:47 PM
joon808
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid additives

Hi I'm new here. After 220,000km the transmission completely failed on my 96 Caravan with the 3.8 motor. After spending $1100 on a new rebuilt transmission, I'm very concerened about making this transmission last for at least another 3 years before I sell it and buy a new vehicle. I have to admit, before the failure I drove my Caravan very hard but always maintained it very well. I know that the rebuilt transmissions are weaker so now I drive more gently. I was looking at a few additives and was wondering if there are any that people would reccoment to prolong the life of the transmssion. I have my eye on a bottle of Wynn's Ultra Smooth Fluid additive only because the bottle is a small size and I can just added to the existing fluid without fear of over filling. If anyone can give me a recomendation of what fluid additive they reccomend it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:20 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Transmission fluid additives

The biggest thing is to use the correct transmission fluid. ATF+3 or ATF+4 is the ONLY fluid they should have used. (Mobil or Amsoil syntetics are good as well)

If your not 100% sure what they put in it after they rebuilt it, make sure you call them up and ask them. If they put in anything but: ATF+3 or ATF+4, (Amsoil and Mobil's synthetics are good as well), have them change that out ASAP. Dexron fluid is NOT compatible with these transmissions. If they used an additive to make Dexron "as good as" ATF+3 or ATF+4, have them change it out anyways. Additives to Dexron doesn't make it like ATF+3 or ATF+4. If they put in the wrong fluid, they should have to pay for the right stuff. Also, if they put in the wrong fluid, make sure they flush out ALL the old fluid, not just drop the pan and add a few quarts.

With that said, some people have had good experiance with Lucas additives. I'm a little leary of additives (for transmissions, at least) however.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:56 AM
Jetmeck
Amateur

SOME Dexron/mercon fluids CLEARLY state on the back of the bottle ATF+3 AND ATF +4 ALONG WITH QUITE A FEW OTHER manufactures codes.
If it doesn't say it is compatible on the bottle don't use it. Change it regularly.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:59 PM
brandoncrone
Veteran

Never put additives in DCX transmissions, nothing but shift shudder problems. Yeah some bottles of Dexron are marked ATF +3 and +4, dones't mean that that fluid meets DCX material standards though. Use +4 in your minivan, its the latest and greatest and is backward compatible with most all DCX vehicles. The only way to know if you are getting real +4 is to buy it with a Mopar label on it. The dealer has it, or I've even seen it on WalMart shelves. The best thing you can do to make your transmission last is to replace the oil and filter every 30K miles. The biggest failure of auto transmissions is lack of maintenence. Not saying that you don't service yours, just in general that is what I see.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:07 AM
Jetmeck
Amateur

Regular maintenance is key. You sound like maybe you are employed by CHRYSLER ?
I have been through this ATF+4 deal thoroughly with the manufacturer of the fluid I use.
First I would not introduce synthetic into a high mileage tranny. High mileage trannies
and engines are prone to leak as it is. Synthetics will make this worse.

Second if the manufacturer of the fluid states on the bottle it is recommended for that application
what more do you want. It states on the bottle it meets this or that spec.

Go to MOBIL's site and read the specs on thier multi vehicle fluid. We all know Mobil
is a highly respected fluid manufacturer. Are you saying they would lead us astray ?
I use another brand who used to make ATF+3, then changed to ATF+4 which is synthetic and
I won't use that.

I had bottles of their Dexron/Mercon 3 sitting around and while on the phone I mentioned
this tranny fluid dilemna to them and they told me to read the back of the Dexron bottle.
It states recommended and TESTED in Chrysler recommending ATF+3 and ATF+4 .

DEXRON/Mercon 3 NOW RESIDES IN BOTH OF MY 2000 Caravans with absolutely no
problems whatsoever. All Dexron fluid MAY not be the same so don't
everyone put any old Dexron in theirs. My brand clearly states it is recommended and tested
for my van's tranny.

So then the ATF +3 & +4 DESIGNATION WAS DROPPED OFF THE BOTTLES RECENTLY.
I CALLED TO ASK WHY, somewhat concerned at first. Basically the formaula hasn't changed
..the reason it was dropped was because of a marketing SPAT with DAIMER/Chrysler.

Mobil, my brand and who knows what other brands of Dexron/mercon or multi vehicle transmission fluid
are clearly stating it is compatible, recommended and tested in Chrysler.

On the net I read in several places where....dodn't quote me but I am close....that Dexron and ATF +3 AND +4
and several other types of fluids were basically the same fluid. TYPE F being the one that was somewhat different.

Read up and make an informed choice.
All this go to the dealer for your stuff is crap.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid additives