Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Fuel rail replacement...how to - any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 03:19 PM
aftermidnight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel rail replacement...how to - any tips?

Hi! I have a 93 Grand Caravan SE 3.3L and the fuel rail is leaking at the seams where it curves. How difficult is it to replace? I looked through quite a few pages here and didn't see any mention of the fuel rail. I tried using JB Weld twice, but that hasn't held more than a few months...I know, bad idea, but I had to try it. So what's involved in replacing the rail? I've never messed with fuel injectors. By looking at it, it appears the intake manifold (the silver item with the 3.3L stamped on it...not sure if that's called a manifold) that has the throttle body attached to it needs to come off, along with the coil pack, and alternator bracket. Anything else? Will I be able to lift the intake up slightly to gain access to the rail, or does it need to come off completely? How many bolts hold on that intake...I see 3 in the front, are there ones in the back I didn't see? Do the gaskets need to replaced for the intake? I was told by the parts dept via em that I will need 12 injector O-rings, 1 set of FPR O-rings, and 2 fuel rail connectors. Is that right? Do the injectors just pull out attached to the rail when I pull off the rail or should I take the clips loose where the injectors attach to the rail, leave the injectors in place and then remove the rail? The fuel lines look to be crimped on to the rail. If I get a used rail, could I splice into the rubber fuel lines that are right before those connectors with an in-line connector instead of messing with the crimped connectors being I don't have a crimper tool?

The new rail is $220. I found a used fuel rail on eBay that comes with the injectors (the rail was suppposedly new a year ago) for $50. Would that be a good route to go maybe?

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-11-2007, 05:55 PM
amchornet
Default RE: Fuel rail replacement...how to - any tips?

what did you find out about your fuel rail?

Old 03-19-2007, 08:30 AM
jasann

I bought a new fuel rail intending to replace it myself, but I was on a trip and the leak got so bad I had to have dealer replace rail. now I have one to sell. anyone need it?

Old 11-12-2007, 06:43 PM
windysityguy

Still got that fuel rail? Anybody? Used?

Old 11-12-2007, 09:00 PM
greenmachine
All Star

Lets get started..... Thethrottle bodyand manifoldshouldcome off together. There are obviously a few sensor connectors, stock air intake,and I believe eight bolts. Not sure off the top of my head. You can pull these completely off and set it aside. The fuel hose should come off the rail once you remove a small clip. If not then you will need a fuel line removal tool. Very inexpensive. The fuel rail will be held down by a few bolts. Dont forget to remove the fuel injector connectors. Please label if you feel you may not remember where they go. I would make sure to get the o-rings, hate for you to put it together and have a leak. You should not have to remove the injectors themselves. Go ahead and get the parts he suggested. I would also get new intake gaskets. Once you get this far just go backwards till you are done. I will tell you I have not done this particular motor but anymore they are about the same. Not hard just a little time consuming if not familiar.

P.S. take off the gas cap before you start

Quick Reply: Fuel rail replacement...how to - any tips?