Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Dodge '98 carvan: Burn too much GAS! Transmission issue?! PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Spearfrost
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge '98 carvan: Burn too much GAS! Transmission issue?! PLEASE HELP!

I own a '98 dodge grand caravan 3.0 litre V6 engine. I have a mojor problem, none of all the mechanics I went to could have solve. So here's hoping someone who could possibly help me.

Everything starts fine, there's a constant rattling at the begining, but after some time it smoothens out. When driving it feels like the gas is being force-fed so that the transmission would kick into gear.
I know that there is nothing wrong with the transmission because, a couple of times when taken to the mechanic, the problem gets fix for a day or so (transmission shifts smoothly and clean) and then it goes back to its old ways.

Here's what I've done so far:
- Changed the EGR
- Replaced filters
- Changed most parts that deals with the gas
- Changed spark plugs
- Changed sensors

Here's what's been happening:
- "Service Engine" light still goes on (Comes off after taken to the mechanic for a small time)
- Black exhaust at start up and when transmission kicks into gear.
- Stuttering or buckling when reach a speed of 40 and going up. Staying at a low steady speed keeps it from buckling.
- RPM races really high before acceleration.
- Burns too much gas and oil. (My job is 20 mins away. It burns a complete 1/4 tank of gas to and from!)

Here's the deal:
- The mechanics (all that I've went to and even if they get still get it running for a small bit of time). Runs it through with a full computer check and still can't find anything wrong with it. One says there might be a loose wire circuit.
- Everthing gets temporarily fix at the mechanics and still the problem returns.

Think anyone can help me with this? It's really annoying spending so mcuh money and not getting the results. Your help will be much appreciated!!
~ Tracey

Old 01-04-2007, 02:51 PM
BNtune
Rookie
Default RE: Dodge '98 carvan: Burn too much GAS! Transmission issue?! PLEASE HELP!

Do you know how to pull code's using key. on,off-om,off-on
Read,count the flashes. First will be a code 12 than the trouble code,followed by 55.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Spearfrost
Default RE: Dodge '98 carvan: Burn too much GAS! Transmission issue?! PLEASE HELP!

That, I would not know how to do. Will I need a diagnostic tool for it? Or do you think you could run it by me in further detail on how to go about doing this?

Old 01-12-2007, 09:13 PM
richardh05k

Try taking it to an exhaust shop. Have them check for a plugged converter. If it is burning too much oil that is a very likely culprit.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:35 AM
BNtune
Rookie

Always wounder when I read a post if a issue had been resolved.
Any hoo
Key check for trouble codes.
Turn the key on three times, on-off on-off and on. The MIL light won't come on for a couple of Sec.
Then when you see the MIL light come on it will start flashing. What you see at first will be, 1flash pause 2 flash.=code 12. Followed by any number of flashes(count) pause and more flashes (count). This will be a stored trouble code if any are pressent.If more than one code is stored the flashes will need to be counted.The end code will be 5flashes pause 5flashes =code 55,end of code.
I'm a little late on this reply[sm=confused06.gif]

Quick Reply: Dodge '98 carvan: Burn too much GAS! Transmission issue?! PLEASE HELP!