Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Looking at purchasing 2002 Grand Caravan - help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 02:05 PM
CEN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at purchasing 2002 Grand Caravan - help please

I have a 96 Plymouth Voyager that is costing us as much in repairs as a car payment (actually more than a car payment). It's in the shop more than I drive it and is our only vehicle for family of 5. After reading these boards, I can't decide if it's even worth purchasing a newer van. It's really discouraging to see that even the newer models have the same problems my older van has. I have 164000 miles on my 96. I don't want to get a newer van, have a car payment AND car repairs bills. So, please tell me, is it really worth buying a newer van or not? I need something dependable!!! I like the Dodge vans for the size and price, and cannot find good reports about the Honda Oydessey, otherwise I'd get one of those.

Thanks for your help!!!!!

Old 01-10-2007, 11:36 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran
Default RE: Looking at purchasing 2002 Grand Caravan - help please

The newer vans are ten times the old ones. You look at this forum and are thinking that its bad to buy another one, but remember that this forum is a small fraction of the vans running around on the road that are having problems. For the most part they are much better, yes they still have the stabilizer bar clunks as the old vans do, the '05 and newer models haven't been bad at all in that respect. Drive one, you'll love the quietness and better handling. The feel better built. All cars have problems, even Hondas. Go the the Honda forum you will see the same small percentage that have problems, and they are much more expensive to repair as the parts cost a lot more.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:56 AM
JRR
Default RE: Looking at purchasing 2002 Grand Caravan - help please

I have a 2002 and a 2003. They are both pretty good vehicles. Look on ebay and cars.com. A 2002 base model with 60K can run you a few thousand dollars. I bought a 2002 stripped model with 125K and a 4 cylinder for $1,500 and it runs great. If you are buying used be prepared for a timing belt replacement and a transmission replacement. If you get a higher mileage vehicle that has already had these replaced you are ahead of the game. If you look at new Caravans the prices are double for leather, stow & go, alloys etc. If you look at a base Caravan 6clyinder (The 6 cylinder engines are indestructible) with A/C and power window and door locksthey are going for under $18K a steal when compared to every other minivan.

Quick Reply: Looking at purchasing 2002 Grand Caravan - help please