Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 Caravan intermittant starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Red00rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Caravan intermittant starting problem

I have a 98 Caravan that periodically when started will die after 2-3 seconds. This will continue for several attempts, then all gauges, dash lights and radio will stop working. There will be no power at the ignition switch. After waiting for 10-15 minutes the van will start and run fine. As stated before, this is a periodic occurrnce. It may not happen for several weeks or months, but has happened at least 5 times. This is my wife's van and I am unsure when it will happen again or where. I have had the dealership check the van several times, but as stated by the SM, if it ain't broke, we can't fix it. I had the ignition switch change, on a whim, and this did not fix the issue. I am on the verge of gettng rid of the van and buying a reliable vehicle. Has anyone had this problem, or heard of this problem..Thanks for any help!

Old 01-15-2007, 09:54 AM
BNtune
Rookie
Default RE: 98 Caravan intermittant starting problem

I would check the battery cable and all ground wire and ends. Power leads to starter and fues box.
So your saying when the van dies out your also loosing power?

Old 01-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Red00rover

Thanks for ur reply. The mechanic shop that works on my van and the dealership both have troubleshoot and checked all connections that feed power to the ignition switch. You never know when this will happen. 'The van can sit for days and it happens or you can drive it to the store and it will not start. Wait 10 minutes and it will crank and run for weeks. The last time it happened I took it in to have my tires rotated and balanced and when the technician went to bring it in, it would not start (dead). You hook up jumper cable, nothing. Called a wrecker and it cranked when it was taken off the wrecker. At a loss!!!

Old 01-15-2007, 11:53 PM
dredwin

I've had 2 issues with my 98 caravan (that are closely related to what you are talking about). The first time my battery was dead so I got a jump and drove it for a few miles and then it died. I tried to get it jumped again but it didn't work. Turns out it was just the stupid battery...it wasn't holding the charge so it was messing with all the electrical stuff (ignition, etc.) I do recall it turning over so I wasn't thinking it was the battery but something bigger. A new battery fixed that issue.

I also had starter issues...intermittently wouldn't start...radio and lights would work (which is different than your issue). Changed the starter (which was a piece of cake and only cost about $150 for parts).

How old is your battery?

Old 01-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Red00rover

Thanks for ur reply. The battery is less than 18 months old. I have had the battery and altenator check. Both are in good shape. The last time this happened, we attempted to jump the battery with still no power to the ignition switch (no tach, gauges, illumination lighting, radio or radio illumination). Since I have change the ignition switch and it happened again this weekend. So that was $150 thrown away. I am close to dismantling the entire vehicle. Again thanks for ur time and support.

Quick Reply: 98 Caravan intermittant starting problem