Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

ESP/BAS Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:05 AM
8319policepackage
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright....so....While installing the new Radio CAN I found that I had installed one previously. Since it was already apart I went ahead and installed the new one. Cleared the codes and the problem came back. The first and only code so far is a communication failure with the Electronic Shift Position CAN. I have called a different dealership in the area that deals with several different Law Enforcement Agencies. I have an appointment with them this upcoming Monday. They too thought the treatment that I received from Spring Dodge was lazy and unprofessional. They have assured me that my optional (LE) equipment will not be an issue since it does not communicate with the computers or CANs in any way. He told me that they won't just reflash the car without the tech looking it over first. At this point only time will tell but I have my fingers crossed. Will post the results next week and hopefully they will be good results!

Old 01-21-2011, 08:40 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should feel comfortable about going to this new dealership knowing that they actually come out and say that the installed police options aren't a problem.

As far as the communication lost error you are getting. A true reflash and possible software upgrade will be done and will rectify your problem.

If this dealer does you good, feel free to throw some props their way here on the forum. Maybe another officer or just your average Dodge enthusiast may need a good dealer in your area and this post will show up in a search.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:36 PM
2007_Police_Charger
Default ESP/BAS Light

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I just bought a 2007 Charger from the Wyoming State Patrol; and the ESP/BAS light comes on at random times. My independent shop couldn't figure it out. Thanks!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:09 PM
8319policepackage

The dealership said that since there were so many communication modules that were throwing codes that they couldn't track down the one that started the chain reaction. So for a temporary fix they reflashed the computer system. It threw a code again last night where all of the boxes lit up around the gear positions including the manual shift box that had the number 8 in it. I came straight home and pulled the codes. The only code that it is showing currently is U0103 Lost Communication with Gear Shift Control Module. I just talked to Dodge and they say that all of the control communication modules talk to each other so when one stops working properly it will throw several codes. With this being the first and only code so far then it is clear in my situation that my Gear Shift Control Module is going out. Having it towed to Dodge as we speak to have it replaced. Hope this helps!! Good Luck!! BTW the reflashing fixed the issue for about 8 months and I operate my vehicle 8 to 12 hours a day and I'm sure I am harder on it than you will be so maybe reflashing or updating the flash programming could be a more permanent fix for you.

And!! The dealer I am using now is Demontrond Dodge located in Conroe, TX!! The service there is awesome and straight forward!!!!

Last edited by 8319policepackage; 08-18-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:32 PM
8319policepackage

**********UPDATE**************

The part that was causing all of the issues to do with the boxes lighting up around the shift positions and the ESP/BAS light was the Electronic Shift Control Module. The bad news is that this part can only be replaced by replacing the entire steering column....$2,000....luckily the dealership is going to warranty the part even though i am outside my warranty which leads me to believe that they are going to come out with some kind of recall in the near future.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:41 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update

Old 08-23-2011, 08:55 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

They should have done something for you. Glad it turned out well for you. Especially since it's something ridiculous like one part of a column (that doesn't even control sterring) requiring the whole thing. I know the 300 with the motorized tilt and telescoping wheel requires the whole column too...yeah about 2000 bucks. They replaced one for one of our customers earlier this year.

Just goes to show you when you walk in and approach people with the right attitude, a good service dept and Chrysler will bend over backwards for you.

Last edited by TNtech; 08-23-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 PM
jleonard
Professional

Im in my cruiser right now, esp and bas lights are on, she doesnt shift and wont let me in the autostick option. That and slams into gear when putting in reverse. Think its all connected?

Old 08-17-2013, 10:54 PM
DuaneHolman

Originally Posted by 8319policepackage
**********UPDATE**************

The part that was causing all of the issues to do with the boxes lighting up around the shift positions and the ESP/BAS light was the Electronic Shift Control Module. The bad news is that this part can only be replaced by replacing the entire steering column....$2,000....luckily the dealership is going to warranty the part even though i am outside my warranty which leads me to believe that they are going to come out with some kind of recall in the near future.

Hope this helps!
8319policepackage, and 2007_Police_Charger, I also bought a Charger from the Wyoming Auto Auction which was a Kimball County Sherrifs car, 5 nights ago we had a major rain storm, my drivers window was down and I went out in the rain to close the window. The next morning when I left for work, I had no wipers, no high beam, no horn, no cruise, my ESP/BAS light on as well as my traction control light on. I talked with a GM/Chrysler Tech in town and they stated that they have had issues with the SCC (Steering Control Module) in these units. I was told to take the column apart and try cleaning the contacts from the SCC which ties all the functions of the column together into one unit. Did that today so my next step is going to go and buy me a used column from a salvage yard for $75, Part it down to get the parts I need to fix mine, rather than spend time in the shop, $130 for a new SCC, plus the outrageous labor costs to the dealership.

Quick Reply: ESP/BAS Light