Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

Dodge AT4

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:24 PM
mjsalty87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I have recently purchased a at4 675H dodge in original dodge red. Im not sure about where the paint code would be but if you could tell me i will get it for you. The only numbers i have found are BERG-AL5016 on firewall and chassis number AT4-675H 221. If i can be of any more help let me know. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 PM
mjsalty87

Hi Mousey, didn't give you my email address earlier if you wanted to reply im a bit new to this computer stuff. Its mjsalty87@hotmail.com. Thanks

Old 08-16-2013, 07:42 AM
mousey
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi mj, yes that is the actual paint code, which is on the ID tag.. AL5016 and AL7238 are both codes for "Truck Red", also known as 'PMG' red and there is also a fleet code for the same colour. "H" was for a heavy duty chassis which was available only on 5, 6 series trucks. Thanks for contributing this information on your truck!

mousey

Old 08-16-2013, 07:47 AM
mousey

Hi Alan,

These trucks were a design unique to Australia, not imported. The cabs and bodies were supplied by Chrysler's South Australian plant and the chassis were supplied by International with Dodge running gear fitted to the AT4, which is why parts like steering boxed are interchangeable

Mousey

Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 AM
mousey

Thanks kevie, that makes 2 codes for PMG red, 13211, 7238 and 5016

Mousey

Old 08-16-2013, 07:54 AM
mousey

hi running on empty..

initially the V8 was only available on the 4-series and up but from 1967 the V8 (at that time this was the 318 which had replaced the 313) was made available on 1, 2 and 3 series trucks, ie 114, 129, 229, 329 and 353. There is a brochure which explains this, as up until 1966 all light duty trucks were fitted with the slant 6 (and the heavy duty 245 from late 1969 for the 1970 model year)

The 361 was only available on 7-series trucks

Mousey

Old 08-20-2013, 05:26 PM
mjsalty87

Hello all, just wondering if anyone knows of a good website of suppliers for window rubbers and quater glass rubbers for at4's

Old 12-01-2013, 05:26 PM
ChrisAT4

Originally Posted by thunder62
Hi guys, newbie here in Adelaide, SA, just bought an AT4, 318 c.in,(i think), lowered, dual rears, extractors, lumpy cam, on LPG with 3 inch twin system, all black, sounds and looks mean, it also 'chirps' the tyres real easy in 2nd gear take off if I'm not careful. With regards steering this one has an HQ - HZ manual steering box bolted to the chassis rail, pretty sloppy so will be replaced. I figure if a Holden box can handle it, it can probably take the same thing but in a power steer one instead, from an HQ up to a WB Statesman, all the boxes were the same and are easy to come by. The WB s/man was reasonably heavy so should be able to handle the Dodge weight okay.

Tony C.
Hi Tony

Also new to the site, do you have a picture of your steering set up with the HQ box, we are also looking at converting to power steering.

Cheers

Chris

Old 09-25-2014, 03:44 AM
Dave 64

Hi All,

Also a newbie, also trying to identify a blokes Dodge truck. Have posted something similar on this site (still trying to work my way around it!).

If I have followed Mousey's post correctly, the one in question is "AT4 460/817 CAB 25 770" SO, from that I deduce that IF ORIGINAL (I know for certain it has had an engine transplant at least), it has the 318 Dodge truck engine on a 175" wheelbase. Anyone know what the CAB25" and the "770" signify? I thought it was a 475 series. It has 750X17 5 stud wheels, a 10 bolt diff that bolts in from the front (dual wheels), full floating rear axle held in with 8 bolts, dual 5" headlights. There's no guarantee that it is the original cab, although know it had a bog job and a coat of paint about 20 years ago. I have actually driven the truck, many years ago. I need help POSITIVELY identifying the transmission. I know it is the NEW PROCESS 4 speed, cannot find any tags on the actual gearbox, but did find some casting numbers on the passenger side, looks like a "D" stamped into a flat surface, followed by a casting number in raised letters of "C-97247". On other (drivers) side above the PTO plate also has the same casting number "C-97247" and then under that also in raised letters, "2 NP".

So, again I am assuming it is the common NP435 transmission? If so, how do you positively identify the ratio with the box and engine still in vehicle (not running). I have heard of Dodge also using the NP445 but I have been told that it was a lot later than this. If I can pin down the year closer than anything between 1962 and 1972, I may go a long way to identifying the transmission. BTW, it has a hydraulic clutch on the R/H side, under the drivers feet, suspended pedals. Any help would sure be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave 64

Old 09-25-2014, 08:08 AM
mousey
Default re: dave's AT4

Hi Dave,

I believe F100's used the NP435, they were used in Ford trucks from 1966-92 and Dodge trucks from 1962-93, the differences were with the splines and stickout on the input shaft.

If you have a look at this page it tells u a bit about the ratios and differences but may or may not apply to aussie builds:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np435.htm

From what I could find out, NP445 had synchro on 1st and came out in the 1970's so I guess the simple way to check is no synchro on 1st is a 435 and synchro on 1st is a 445 (the gears are cut differently), so the specifications section in the brochures for these trucks might be handy in determining if or when the 445 replaced the 435.

If the ID tag or body badges indicate a 460 then the cab was originally fitted to a 160" wb chassis so if this one has a 175" wb then we know it's a definite cab swap.

Not being original makes it a bit harder in identifying a specific year, what I do know is that the grill and headlight surrounds went from white to silver/grey around 1967 and the smaller trucks, series 1, 2 and 3 were available with the V8 as optional for the first time.

I don't know what any of the other numbers mean, I've never owned one, I just had an interest in paint codes and wheelbase specs in order to produce models of them.

There should be some owners or experts around who would know more detail about the numbers but it is possible some of it is explained in parts catalogues or workshop manuals as they are with Fords.

Hope this helps a little bit,
Mousey

Originally Posted by Dave 64
Hi All,

Also a newbie, also trying to identify a blokes Dodge truck. Have posted something similar on this site (still trying to work my way around it!).

If I have followed Mousey's post correctly, the one in question is "AT4 460/817 CAB 25 770" SO, from that I deduce that IF ORIGINAL (I know for certain it has had an engine transplant at least), it has the 318 Dodge truck engine on a 175" wheelbase. Anyone know what the CAB25" and the "770" signify? I thought it was a 475 series. It has 750X17 5 stud wheels, a 10 bolt diff that bolts in from the front (dual wheels), full floating rear axle held in with 8 bolts, dual 5" headlights. There's no guarantee that it is the original cab, although know it had a bog job and a coat of paint about 20 years ago. I have actually driven the truck, many years ago. I need help POSITIVELY identifying the transmission. I know it is the NEW PROCESS 4 speed, cannot find any tags on the actual gearbox, but did find some casting numbers on the passenger side, looks like a "D" stamped into a flat surface, followed by a casting number in raised letters of "C-97247". On other (drivers) side above the PTO plate also has the same casting number "C-97247" and then under that also in raised letters, "2 NP".

So, again I am assuming it is the common NP435 transmission? If so, how do you positively identify the ratio with the box and engine still in vehicle (not running). I have heard of Dodge also using the NP445 but I have been told that it was a lot later than this. If I can pin down the year closer than anything between 1962 and 1972, I may go a long way to identifying the transmission. BTW, it has a hydraulic clutch on the R/H side, under the drivers feet, suspended pedals. Any help would sure be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave 64

Quick Reply: Dodge AT4