Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

U-joint help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:10 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-joint help please

the dealer tells me i need 3 u-joints on the front drive shaft and it would be cheaper to just replace the drive shaft. i can get the u-joints for about $12 a piece at the local parts store as opposed to whatever dodge wants to charge. the u-joints by the transfer case look simple but my problem is the one closest to the axle. it looks as if there are little pins sticking out of the yolk that hold the caps on. i know the pins dont go through other wise the joint wouldnt spin. can anyone give me tips to change this joint? is it just like any other or is it a special u-joint? i gotta get this job done after work tomorrow and id rather not leave the drive shaft out of the truck if i can help it. thanks for all the help guys it is greatly appreciated. 2003 2500 cummins 4WD

Old 09-24-2008, 08:23 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Those "pins" are actually the fill points for a plastic retainer. The groove that holds the cap in on that set up is on the outside of the cap itself. They inject liquid plastic in the hole where you see the "pins" and it hardens in side around the groove. I haven't done it yet, but from what I read you will need to heat the joint and melt the plastic to get the joint apart. Good luck and post some pics, as I will probably be doing my back drive shaft soon and all 3 joints are that way on mine.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:10 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran

sorry no pics. i didnt read this in time to have my camera and even if, i still havent figured out how to put pics on here. the u-joints went smoothly. a little bit of heat and the plastic literally (for lack of better explanitaion) was like a cumshot and just shot out of the hole. the only problem we ran into was some sort of joint between the 2 u-joints at the transfer case. this joint looked very worn and im not so sure i can replace it without repalcing the whole driveshaft. and i wonder if this joint should be reaplced when the u-joints are done. any one know that can fill me in? thanks guys

Old 09-27-2008, 12:04 AM
eaglestorm
Professional

that joint your talking about is a cv joint we dont even mess with them at the dealer just replace the shaft. you can take it to a driveshavt shop and they have the equipment and parts to rebuild it. just because you can buy the ujoints for 12 bucks dont mean you can alway fix it. For 12 bucks I would buy alot of them cuz I dont think they will last long. It's like buying a snap on socket for 20 bucks or a whole set for 10
from harbor freight

Last edited by eaglestorm; 09-27-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Quick Reply: U-joint help please