Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Transmission Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:58 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Leak

OK my Journey affectionados, drove to Va. yesterday to visit my parents. Came back outside to get something out of the car and noticed a puddle underneath....hmm..oil leak? Nope, transmission fluid. I'm like wth? Opened the hood to check things out and found fluid all over the TOP side of the transmission....

This was after I had soaked up some of it. It's filling up all those little cavities and running down the side. I cleaned it up today and will see if I can pinpoint it, but wanted to see if anyone has had a similar issue. 2009, 2.4L.

Does not look like it's coming out of the dipstick. Any thoughts? Of course, our extended warranty expired at the beginning of the month....lol

Old 10-28-2013, 11:29 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are no trans line running on top of the 4 speed trans, how is it possible for ATF to leak there?

are you sure they are not coolant? the T-Stat housing and very common leak in the 2.4L.

Of course, it could be from Axle seal and the Axle is whipping it around as you drive.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:42 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Definitely trans fluid. I cleaned it up real good yesterday and nothing has come back so far. The trans dipstick it right above this point and I'm wondering if I got some fluid foaming or something like that going on that came out the top of the dipstick. It was about a 2-1/2 hour drive up and down some pretty long mountains. I dunno. Did find a thread in the Caravan section where someone had fluid on top like this and it was something came loose internal and wore through the case.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Leak