Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

04 SXT, Automatic. Broken shaft selector on trans. repair advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:49 PM
beelzebubba
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 SXT, Automatic. Broken shaft selector on trans. repair advice?

2004 Neon SXT, Automatic trans.

The neon won't start. Gives me error code P0700, and it's stuck in gear. I had it towed to the mechanic, and they told me it was a broken selector shaft on the transmission. The mechanic says I should replace the transmission, but I don't want to, and can't really afford to right now.

If I have a place to work on the car and can do it myself, is this a difficult job? I have plenty of time to work on the car and am totally comfortable doing so, but would like to save as much money as possible.

Is it worth it to attempt to replace the selector shaft myself, or should I just replace the transmission? Is this even a part I can find somewhere? Does anyone know the actual name of the part?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

How about a 5sp swap?

May wanna take this to big org. Atx issues are not in my scope.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:37 PM
beelzebubba

I figured it out.

I always hate when I'm searching for a problem and I find unanswered threads, so I'm posting this as a courtesy follow up.

The mechanic was trying to rip me off. It was stuck in gear because the linkage cable/shifter cable had rusted and got stuck.

Originally the car was giving me a difficult time when I would try to change gears, so I got pissed off and jerked the shifter which caused the cable to break. I ended up paying the mechanic $250 for the 'diagnosis' and towing to another location.

The cable was $50 online -ebay or amazon or something (it's also the same part used in a pt cruiser) and it only took me about 30 minutes to install myself. I think I only had to put the car on jack stands. Super easy and super cheap.

Quick Reply: 04 SXT, Automatic. Broken shaft selector on trans. repair advice?