Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

99 2wd spindle wheel bearing and grease seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 12:19 PM
dustinbabin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 2wd spindle wheel bearing and grease seal

Has anyone donside his before? If so any tips? I'm in the process of doing mine and when I took the wheel off the spindle nut was barely tight and the flat side of the grease seal was facing inboard?

Old 04-21-2014, 12:34 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The open side of the seal faces the grease, typically. I've got a little play in mine, haven't done it yet. I've done a bunch of 4wds though.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:23 AM
mannella

Tapered bears don't require the nut to be tight. I usually tighten it up and back it off a little.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:18 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the tapered bearings I've done it's been tighten them to X spec, back it off, then let the weight of the wrench tighten it up.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:52 PM
T-Ram
Rookie

Get the manual and follow the procedure-if you cant afford one just go into autozone and open one and copy what you need-they don't go very tight-Follow the instructions for your vehicle or you will fry your bearings pretty quick-use a long punch and hammer to remove the races from the opposite side-use emery cloth sand paper to smooth out any nicks-use the biggest new cotter pin that will fit it-I like using gumout brand carb cleaner spray and scotts Pro shop towels-it just seems to clean better and dry cleaner than any brake sprays Ive used-and the Pro Scotts Towels don't rip as easy as standard--

Quick Reply: 99 2wd spindle wheel bearing and grease seal