Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2000 brakes 2500

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 03:47 PM
cummins2000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2000 brakes 2500

I have a 2000 ram 2500 with the 5.9 cummins.. the other day the brakes went out. the pedal went to the floor really easy. mechanic said it was a hydro boost, I replaced that. still doing the same thing,, also said it could be the power steering pump as it runs the hydro boost,, replaced that, still no luck, the ABS light and brake light is on, if I push the pedal reallys hard the rear brakes will grab. any thoughts? thanks

Old 05-19-2014, 06:00 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like your mechanic is an idiot.

very first thing I would check is your calipers and your wheel cylinders.

how is your brake fluid level?

if your hydroboost or power steering went out, your brakes would be ridiculously hard to push down and the steering wheel would be ridiculously hard to turn.

if either of your wheel cylinders or calipers are leaking, then there would be little to no resistance in the brake pedal because there would be air in the lines and a leak that you are pushing all of your brake fluid out of.

if the wheel cylinders are leaking, then replace both of them as well as the brake shoes, and get the drums turned by a parts shop or service shop that has a brake lathe. If they want to charge you too much to turn the drums, just buy new ones. they don't cost that much these days.

if calipers are leaking but have not soaked the pads, you can reuse the pads and replace the calipers, or replace with loaded calipers and turn the rotors or replace the rotors.

if there are no leaks in the wheel cylinders or calipers, then check your brake master cylinder, and check all of the soft brake lines, and then the hard brake lines. there has to be a leak somewhere in the system unless someone loosened a bleeder on you as a prank or revenge for something.... then bleed the brakes and tighten the bleeders as part of the process.

Last edited by Jigabop; 05-19-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:13 PM
MoparPartWorld
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jigabop
sounds like your mechanic is an idiot.
Hahaha, I agree sounds like air in the brakes or low brake fluid / brake fluid leak to me

Old 05-25-2014, 07:23 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Failed seal in the master cyl? Ballooning rubber lines? No brake fluid?

Old 05-25-2014, 08:04 PM
T-Ram
Rookie

Sounds more like a parts changer than a mechanic-- if you don't find any leaks and the lines and pads all look good-it may be your master cylinder-you should get good pressure when you bleed the brakes-if its not shooting out hard that's a good indicator of a bad master cylinder-heck you replaced everything else may as well do the cylinder-LOL ------

Old 05-25-2014, 08:12 PM
T-Ram
Rookie

I don't have a procedure to test the abs control module-have never had to change one either so wouldn't know the symptoms--

Quick Reply: 2000 brakes 2500