Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission Upgrades

I'm not going to question his wisdom about upgradeing the torque converter before the valve body. . .my reason behind the valve body first is it is easy to get to, and will increase line pressures to not only hold the tranny gears better, but also hold the TC better. if you are going to get a new TC that is when you just need to go ahead and go for some billet stuff. since you have the tranny out, why not

I do agree with him about the stock TC. it will swell if heated up enough, and the single clutch is good for stock and up to 75hp. but after that I would advise doing some upgrades. if not you WILL break something.

Now, if I were you I would go ahead and start planning on doing some upgrades to the tranny. you need to have the supporting mods to the truck in order for you to run effectavely. you could stack boxes, toss on a larger turbo, injectors, and other engine mods and not look at the tranny, but you will have a problem when you stand on that skinny pedal you tranny will start waving a white flag and start puking it's guts through the pan.

over 100 hp, a new lift pump is needed to make sure you have enough fuel to the CP3. over 100 hp, a larger capacity turbo is needed to keep things cool. over 75hp, tranny mods are a must. . .you can see what I am going with this.

if you are already having slight slippage problems, work on the tranny to keep it from slipping, and while your at it, install that inline pump. then try and make the tranny slip again. . .it can turn into a vicious cycle, but it sure is fun to find the limits.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:20 PM
KillerCummins
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grassyass Drew, looks like valve body it is thenBD has 'em for 575 w/100$ core exchange, thats in my price range right now. Just talked to a bd technician and he said that it a bold on job. Sounds too good to be true. Does it void the transmission warranty? I forgot to ask him that.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well. . .it will if you have tranny troubles and take it to the dealer

and yes it is a bolt on item. just make sure you have new tranny fluid handy

Old 08-30-2007, 01:02 AM
Ralph78
Professional

You could go with a an ATS 5 Star Torque Converter and one of their HD transmissions with a billet input shaft. Don't worry about your WT with Dodge, ATS will WT for 150,000 miles or 3 years, IF you have the trans. serviced every 15,000 by a trans. shop. The service must include a drain of the TC. The ATS TC's have a drain plug. Then have the shop fill out the paperwork and send it in. ATS is quite expensive, but seem to be Bullet Proof. I really like mine, 21,000 miles on it, 80% towing 5,000-8,000 lb. trailers, and no problems at all. I plan on keeping the truck FOREVER, so the cost will average it's self out over the years.

Ralph

Old 08-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Bigriver

I began with a bone stock 06' CTD. Like some have said, it's a fever. Gauges, new air filter , exhaust.....before I knew it I was skeemming on more mods. But of course that little voice said that you're gonna blow the transmisson with all that! Well, I decided to bite the bullet and throw some big resorces into the tranny first. Before I blow my wad on piece meal upgrades, then find I can't afford a BIG expense with the transmisson, I'd be screwed on waiting on funds and the truck sitting up. Bite the bullet now and get the pain over with. Sleep better at night knowing that your drive train has been to the gym and is ready to flex what ever muscles you want to give it. I went with the ATS stage 4 billet trans, and have no regrets. At least thats the least worry I have now. Watching my egt's climb is now a concern, but the point is, like Drew said, if you're going to add some ponies under the hood, the trans will suffer. Your choice, but I can sleep better at night now !

Old 08-30-2007, 06:54 PM
02cummins
Captain

minus the removal and installation work, is it worth me buying my own parts and rebuilding everything myself on my auto tranny in my 2002 ? anyone know price ranges ? whats the difference in the 47re in my 02 AND the 48re (i think) in the newer models ?

Quick Reply: Transmission Upgrades