Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Changed fuel filter, ran, died, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Changed fuel filter, ran, died, won't start

NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[sm=noooo.gif][sm=badidea.gif]

tranny fluid will dammage the CP3 and the injectors. the engine may run on it but there will be alot of dammage done to the sealing surfaces of the injectors leading to premature failure and leaking injectors.

edit: if you want to realy clean out the injectors, fill the canister with seafoam or powerservice and crank her up.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:14 PM
silverram99
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that true for all desiel engines? A desiel tech told me that a long time ago and I have used that trick ever since............[sm=oopssign.gif]

Old 10-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Drew

good to hear you got her running again. . .the first time I changed mine I had the same issue. bumped the starter a total of 6 times she stumbled a bit at first but then she fired right off.

theres no need to crack an injector line on these HPCR engines. if you do that while the engine is running you will have diesel spray at you at 5000psi and the engine will die very quick since the whole fuel system is run off that one rail. the way Bosche designed the fuel system on the HPCR's it is also self purging if air gets trapped into the rail.
Would the install be the same on mine? Would I hafta crack a line? I still haven't done mine myself after that laundry list of things that that guy said I needed to do in your fuel filter replacement thread. I'm a scare-d-cat.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Drew
Professional

for older engines yes, it will help the pump out since tolerances were not as tight, I acutaly did this to a hummer when I was in Europe when the driver put in a load of JP8[:@]. Today it will kill the pump and injectors since they are built to such tight tolerances.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:21 PM
silverram99
Captain

Well then disregard what I said lol. I appreciate the tip though.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Drew
Professional

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ORIGINAL: Drew

good to hear you got her running again. . .the first time I changed mine I had the same issue. bumped the starter a total of 6 times she stumbled a bit at first but then she fired right off.

theres no need to crack an injector line on these HPCR engines. if you do that while the engine is running you will have diesel spray at you at 5000psi and the engine will die very quick since the whole fuel system is run off that one rail. the way Bosche designed the fuel system on the HPCR's it is also self purging if air gets trapped into the rail.
Would the install be the same on mine? Would I hafta crack a line? I still haven't done mine myself after that laundry list of things that that guy said I needed to do in your fuel filter replacement thread. I'm a scare-d-cat.

you shouldnt have to, the VP44 is also self primeing untill the distributor. the only time you would need to crack the lines is if you get an air lock in one of the lines to bleed out the air. the P7100 is the same. only the HPCR's are fully self primeing.

Quick Reply: Changed fuel filter, ran, died, won't start