Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Changed fuel filter, ran, died, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 08:08 PM
zram2500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed fuel filter, ran, died, won't start

I did Drew's fuel filter change, bumped starter to prime 3 times, started truck ran rough and died. Now it won't start, I'm sure I need to bleed the line/s. Just not really sure what all I need to do(gotta get a manual soon). GlenninTexas wrote to loosen injection line (at front cylinder on head, I assume) and then to bump starter till it trys to start and then close line, and start truck. Can anyone ad to this? Also would Ibe loosening the nut on the font cylinder at the head? Changed filter once before, but dont think I drained the housing like this time, had no problem. Would love to finish this today! Thanks for the help.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:47 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: Changed fuel filter, ran, died, won't start

sounds like your filter is in backwards... pull it back out and make sure the hole is on the bottom.

if that fails, make sure your drian valve is closed properly and there is enough torque on the filter lid... should not be muscled on, I usually go hand tight, then put a wrench on it for another 1/4~1/2 turn. too much will crack it.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:17 PM
zram2500

Steve I'm sure it's on right, flat side to the cap, hole side down, slid right on. I did the prime trick and it started after, must have been reisidual fuel in lines. Can I hurt anything by loosening the injection line nut at the front of the head, and try bleeding it there? It's just been 1 of those days, had to get a new password to get back on the forum to respond. Thanks Matt

Old 10-01-2006, 10:34 PM
LoseranaCummins

zram2500 --

I just changed mine last weekend...ran into the same prob. After much frustration and redoing everything to make sure I did it correctly, I found this article from the dodgeram.org website: http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/filter/00fuel_filter.htm

At the bottom the guy says basically keep on trying to prime the pump until it goes. I did that a total of about 7 times before she'd go. After the first few I let her sit for about an hour while I researched the problem. Went out and did it twice and she fired right up.

Good luck!!

Old 10-01-2006, 11:57 PM
zram2500

Thanks for the reply, got info from another forum to bleed shrader valve while lift pump was cycling, had good flow, cranked and waited 2 more times and on the 3rd she lit off. Essentially did the same you said by trying to start it after it died and then the other procedure. Deifinately info worth knowing and why I love these forums. Thanks Again, Matt

Old 10-02-2006, 12:56 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

glad to hear your back on the road... what year is your truck? the CR motors are self priming... turn the key on for 10~15 sec, then repeat, then start. worked both times for me...

Old 10-02-2006, 08:04 PM
LoseranaCummins

Good to hear you got her goin!

And yes, these forums are great...imagine having to figure this stuff out before the internet...haha...(I'm jealous of the guys who did!)

Old 10-02-2006, 11:16 PM
zram2500

Thanks Guys. I highly recomend printing a copy of the install, from Loserannacummins reply and keeping it with your spare filter (mines under the backseat) or creating file for whenever you see a usefull bit of info like that. Drew's instructions were great, but like most things for me, it just didn't go textbook.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good to hear you got her running again. . .the first time I changed mine I had the same issue. bumped the starter a total of 6 times she stumbled a bit at first but then she fired right off.

theres no need to crack an injector line on these HPCR engines. if you do that while the engine is running you will have diesel spray at you at 5000psi and the engine will die very quick since the whole fuel system is run off that one rail. the way Bosche designed the fuel system on the HPCR's it is also self purging if air gets trapped into the rail.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:09 PM
silverram99
Captain

Alot of times on the screw-on filters or the drop in canister filters you can fill them with transmission fluid. They will run on it and I think the fluid might actually lubricate the injectors too. I know most of you guys are running Drews Brew so lubrication isn't that big of an issue. I'm not familiar with the fuel filters on the 3rd gen cummins motor but I know this will work on the 2nd gens.

Quick Reply: Changed fuel filter, ran, died, won't start