Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Transmission oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Steeda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission oil?

Hello, I´m a new Dodge Van owner, and was thinking of to change the automatictransmission oil.
I wonderif I can use a DEXRON III (3)automatic transmission oil in my Dodge Ram Van -89 or is it a "too fine / good" oil for this transmission? I think I read some where that it should be a DEXRON II (2). Someone know?

And how much oil do I need?

The reason I wonder about the oil type is that I havesome unopendbottle of DEXRON III oil at home. Unnecessary to buy DEXRON II when I already have DEXRON III ifthe oil typedon´t matter.

Thanks,
Mattias

Old 05-12-2007, 03:32 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default RE: Transmission oil?

Dextron III supersedes Dextron II so you shouldn't have any problems using it as long as we're not talking about a minivan, in which case only use what's specified.

If you're dropping the pan and changing the filter as well, then the low/reverse band needs to be adjusted while you're in there. That is, if you want to save yourself a trannyrebuild job down the road.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Steeda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks, but how much oil do I need when changeing?

How do I adjust this low/reverse band?

Thanks

Old 05-13-2007, 01:45 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you would have had a newer Gen-2 Ram Van/Wagon, then ATF+3 or +4 would have been your only choices.

Quick Reply: Transmission oil?