Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Moog vs xrf chassis ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:22 PM
Matthew6279
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moog vs xrf chassis ball joints

I'm looking at doing new upper and lower ball joints. Lowers are worn. Uppers seem fine but might as well replace it all while I'm there.

I'm thinking about going with either Moog or Xrfchassis.com. I want the heaviest duty one I can get. Cost is close to the same between them.

Anyone have thoughts on these two or want to throw in another brand?

Old 02-22-2017, 11:26 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3-4 years ago I bought uppers and lowers ball joints from napa wanting to get started right away on the task. The uppers were needing replaced and actually the bushings too but I planned bj only, lowers the bushings looked okay.
Tried getting the uppers with my new fancy $$ socket but the profile height of the nut was just too low, the socket did nothing but roll off it as I applied force, ended up busting open my finger pretty good after a few tries!

So...

returned the uppers and ordered the Moog problem solver upper control arm (both sides, mine's the hd 4k front axle like yours) After learning the one side, the other went much quicker and no hurt fingers.

I got to the lowers and found them a bit easier but still some work getting them out and new ones in.

I didn't go with the best more expensive lowers and after installing the first side found it wouldn't rotate in the socket smoothly so called napa and they said bring it back and they'd replace it. i brought both back and upgraded the best they had available for a few bucks more. I Forget the brand now, want to say moog's best... but much better quality and installed relatively easy but not without a couple curses to coax it in straight to seat in.

Since you're gonna have the front end apart I'd suggest taking a look at the strut rod bushings too while yer at it and before doing the alignment . Did mine at the same time as they were worn and would spin freely on the rod