Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Repairs for P1762 and P1757 trans codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:49 PM
02 Ram Van 1500
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairs for P1762 and P1757 trans codes

Hi,

This is my first post and I need help in solving this problem.
Hi everyone,

I own a 2002 Dodge Ram Hi-Top Conversion Van 1500 with 318 engine since day one. My family of 4 has enjoyed it as an everyday vehicle and for travelling to nearby states. I drive a 2005 Buick Rendezvous for my work car. I am a former GM mechanic from back in the 70's and always worked on cars.

I believe the trans is a 4spd, it does have lockup converter and with o/d.

Maintenance wise:
We have about 81,500 miles on it and keep the maintenance kept up but not to every detail that Dodge recommends. Can't afford everything! LOF done every 3000-3500m. Coolant was changed around 40k as well as the rear end G/O and ATF changed. Don't recall if the trans filter was changed.

Last week my wife called me to say there was a problem. She said she just finished shopping and stopped at an intersection for the light to change to green. She started to go and the engine "popped" or "backfired" and the van seemed sluggish to accelerate. The engine was running smooth. The engine felt to her like it was racing but the van wasn't moving as fast as the engine was revving. The CEL came on and stayed on. I told her to stop and check the ATF level, color, and smell it. She said it was at the full mark, red, clear, and did not have any burnt odor. I told her to not take any chances and have AAA tow it home. She didn't listen and took a slow drive home, about 10 miles.

We took it for a ride when she returned home, she drove. It felt like it was starting in 2nd or 3rd gear and the parking brake was lightly applied. I couldn't feel the o/d kick in or out. No engine braking in manual shifting in L1 or L2. Couldn't feel any downshifting at all when coming to a stop.

I borrowed a code reader and came up with one code: P1762 The reader said "Manufacturer Control Transmission". The van hadn't been used for hours and it was fully cooled off. The temp was about 30 degrees here in Jackson, NJ that evening. I took it for a drive. I placed the gear selector in "D" and started moving. It started in 1st gear and shifted smoothly into 2nd and 3rd and "4th" and o/d. I stopped and restarted moving several times. The van still ran normally shifting and with full power and acceleration. I decided to turn around and return home before I got too far from home. At that time about 3-4 miles.

I pulled into a wide driveway stopped and did my K turn. Put it in reverse, backed up and put it back in "D". When I went to go forward, the trans acted up for the first time during that drive. It started in 2nd or 3rd and was slow to accelerate. The CEL came back on and the engine was racing compared to the MPH all the way home. I did <20mph all the way home.

I did another code read and this time code P1757 alone came up. I haven't driven it since.

This past weekend I pulled the trans pan to inspect it before I order any solenoids or sensors. The ATF was clear, not cloudy, was normal in color and smell. There were not chips of any kind. The magnet had the normal fine pasty gray material on it.

It took me a lot of time to find this forum. I think its a great forum and read many of the threads. Before finding DR, most of my searches came to pay for advice types. I read some of them and thought that some of the answers weren't worth the price paid. I guess I didn't search with the best wording.

I am looking for your help in my next step in getting my van in service. I couldn't figure out how to start a new post. Sorry. I need to get my wife back on the road!

Thanks,

Steve

Old 02-03-2010, 10:56 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to DF 02 Ram Van! I am going to move this to our Van Section. The moderator there as well as the members should be able to help ya out! Good Luck!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:02 PM
02 Ram Van 1500
Amateur

Thanks very much!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:08 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Hi Steve
And welcome. Both of your codes are pretty much the same. They are governor sensor codes. If you replace the governor solenoid and transducer sensor that should take care of you ck engine lite and shifting problem. At the same time with the pan already down, change the filter and have the bands adjusted if needed.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 AM
02 Ram Van 1500
Amateur

Thank you for your response. What's involved with adjusting the bands. Something I can easily do with a torque wrench? I haven't worked on any Chrysler transmissions before.

Quick Reply: Repairs for P1762 and P1757 trans codes