Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

So what's up with your van

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Tommy555
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I decided to take a closer look at my transmission pan gasket before I go ahead and drop the pan to replace the fluid and filter. All looked good, no leaks to speak of.

So what's up with your van-rln5p3w.jpg

Upon further inspection on the front side where I was not able to see so well the first time I looked at it...

So what's up with your van-dmk7l7c.jpg

Now it's definitely time to replace the gasket.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 AM
kegunder

Hey Tommy,

If you have more starting issues, have a look at your starter solenoid (part of the starter assemly itself). Dorman makes a rebuild kit that I just put in yesterday. There's also kits that include the solenoid plunger too, so you might want to have a look in yours before you order. Don't replace the starter though, as they are a quality part and can be cheaply and easily repaired. Check youtube. Its the same starter as many Toyota/Lexus models of the same era.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:52 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been working hard on my van for the last few weeks to get it ready for a trip to Newfoundland. My parents will be taking it since they need a 4-seater this time and the wife and I are going to be taking the parents 2007'ish Chevy 3500 Roadtrek 3-seater to Calgary.

Work for this year included:
Removed propane tank for paint and 5-year re-certification
Converted from single deep cycle battery to twin deep cycle batteries
02 sensor
Left exhaust manifold gasket
Catalytic converter
4 belts (can't get AC/alternator belts to stop squealing...grrr)
Thermostat and housing
Thermostat bypass hose
Updated radio (good bye tape deck)
Adjusted rear brakes @ cable splitter and wheels
Anti-rattle rubbers on front calipers
Grease and oil change
Wire brushed and hand painted reachable portions of frame and floor bottom (totally worth it since this van doesn't have a removable frame but miserable work considering it has 5 tanks and a trunk under there)
Both temperature sensors
Range hood motor
Brought it in the garage for front-end inspection

Getting close now...I don't want this thing to cause a debacle on the highway. I had a really long list last summer too but the van is 25 years old. Next year is going to be pretty minor I hope. I want to install a new fridge, get a couple of the windows in the back tinted , and get the paint/roof extension polished. The exhaust may be due again by then too.

Cheers, Steve

Old 08-02-2016, 10:09 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been a pretty quiet van repair year so far. I painted 3 of the wheels silver, painted the hubs black, and put on new lug nuts today. I will finish the last wheel and take some pictures when I get some more paint.
In the near future I'll be installing a 25/50 amp charger and a 30 amp transfer switch. The van needs another tune-up again too.

What's up with your van?

Cheers, Steve

Old 08-03-2016, 01:07 AM
iodj44
Veteran

SteveR

After looking at your pics where is your concern? If the van and tranny or operating normally why drop the pan and replace all the tranny fluid, which in my luck would free a speck of crud to cause problems.

If you van is shifting fine and not leaking fluid consider leaving it be as you could be opening a can of worms and you will not be driving.

Why do you believe the tranny will give your parents a problem.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:38 PM
funair02
All Star

In the past few months...

I repainted my van. I got tired of dealing with the fiberglass top. The paint cracks were annoying.

So I had a good friend who is a bedliner guy, do the top and the rockers in bedliner. I had it repainted with urethane paint that is used on dump truck, airplanes etc.

It came out nice.

I also had to do the water pump again last month. I did it when I first got the van 3 1/2 years ago.

What is interesting is that was I having an issue with my tensioner rattling. After the replacement of the water pump, it is totally gone.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:29 AM
PaulBx
Amateur

Just bought a '98 B3500 maxi with a high top, 5.2 engine and with 244k highway miles. Changed the spark plugs today, not too much fun but I was pleased to find that all the old plugs were pretty uniform light tan, not crudded up. The gaps on the old plugs were all over .050. I set the new ones to .040, not sure about that as I've seen some sites saying .040 and others saying .035. But I figure if .050 still works then .040 will!

No rust at all, one of the things I love about living in Oregon. Engine doesn't smoke. Body straight, no dents. It was a van for transporting people in wheelchairs up and down the freeway. I took out the lift, that thing was heavy!

I have to see about rebuilding the front end as it wanders enough to be a bit scary in turns. Any suggestions that way? I got my Chilton manual today, I suppose I should just buy all the parts and tools and take the whole thing apart rather than doing it a bit at a time. Never did a front end before...

Old 08-04-2016, 05:45 PM
iodj44
Veteran

Well the job is not difficult but remember to have the alignment done when your finished.