Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Ram Van with the hiccups

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 04:19 PM
bajabeachbum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Van with the hiccups

1996 Ram Van 2500 5.2.
Driving in what I would call normal conditions it acts like the ignition is being turned off and on. I've tried doing it and you can't do it that fast. I think it's electrical and not fuel because when it gets these hiccups I can mash on the gas and it pulls hard with no hesitation. It has less than 50,000 miles. I did have a fuel pump go bad and I had it replaced. The new pump was bad and had me chasing other things. It has a new coil, plug wires, crank and cam sensors. It would run fine for a while and then just shut down. After a short cool off it would go again until it quit again. I had a new pump installed at the dealer and everything was great for a few months. Oh yeah, I have also cleaned every wire connector I could put my hands on. This thing is driving me nuts.
I'm about 700 miles down in Baja and I'm getting ready to go back to the states soon. I don't need this thing to get that one hiccup and not recover out in the middle of nowhere in Baja. HELP

Old 05-22-2014, 07:58 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Check the connectors going to the ignition coil and the PCM. I would remove and install them a few times just in case there is some corrosion present.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Dodgeaaron
Default hic up

it is you cpu i know for a fact, i had the same!!!

Old 05-09-2015, 06:05 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pins and sockets on the PCM connectors are only rated for so many insertion removal cycles. So while insertion and removal might clean off the oxidation and return function, it will also cause the little spring arms inside the sockets to exert less pressure on the pins.

I'd recommend flushing out all old Dielectric grease with CRC qed cleaner or similar and a fine sewing needle to really make it look purdy and free of the old grease, and then use Caig Deoxit on the pins and sockets, with some precision swabs to remove the dissolved oxidation.

When looked at with a magnifying glass, the sockets have 2 spring loaded arms which tightly grasp the Pins. These can be rebent to exert more pressure on the pins and ensure good contact.

The Dielectric grease makes this all invisible to the unaided human eye, and I believe Dielectric grease has a limited lifespan and is not as effective as it is widely believed to be in protecting connections from oxidation. I now use it after a connector has been reseated to prevent water and salt laden air intrusion, but the contacts themselves after cleaning are protected with Deoxit Gold or Deoxit shield.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:47 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may just need a tune-up. I put in a new air filter, pcv valve, plugs, wires, and distributor to fix my vans problems with stuttering at speed.
Steve

Old 05-13-2015, 02:52 PM
hoodjaray
Amateur

i have the exact same problem. It just started . It seems like engine cuts off for a split second, no gauges come on and random usually after 10 mins of driving and maybe again but not often. I have been told it's the crankshaft sensor but replaced that 9 months ago. maybe it it went bad. Also had pcm fixed in florida and seems to be working perfect, i get no codes. I have a 2001 5.2 van, when i figure this out will let you know

Old 05-13-2015, 03:10 PM
hoodjaray
Amateur

sorry just reread your post and relize it was a problem i had last year it was the pcm bought a remanufactured one from fla then that one had codes sent back then they sent my original back fixed . If you get a no bus on odometer probably pcm, i think

Quick Reply: Ram Van with the hiccups