Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2 yrs now elec initial start up check engine light flickers 318ci 5.2l 1997

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:52 PM
RICKGEES
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2 yrs now elec initial start up check engine light flickers 318ci 5.2l 1997

So where to start

2 yrs ago the first flicker of the engine check light went on some morning in orlando damp winter day after a week of sitting in fort wilderness disney resort camground.

So on to today 2 yrs later the simple toggle the ignition on and off 3 time does not cut it anymore. Usually the check engine light flickers then stays solid and i can start normally

it now takes 10+ try of the key cycle on/off then it start normal and run the whole day just fine until the next day initial start up.

Could it a bad corroded fuse link wire + pos. Cable? And where would i see it by the bat or the starter?

Anyone with a similar solved situation please please contact me i need a solution.

Thanks
joe

ram van 3500 1997 5.2l 175.000+miles all original never opened motor or tranny garage kept

Old 07-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely your PCM is bad. Since you have to toggle the switch for 10 plus times I would recommend taking a hair dryer to your PCM for about 5 minutes and then see if it starts up normal. If so then replace the PCM.

There is no fuse link on the 97 van's, our vans have a PDC (Power Distribution Center) box under the hood near the battery. All circuits have fuses, while some of the fuses are what is called Maxi fuses (40 amp and higher). Doubt a fuse is your problem.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:54 PM
RICKGEES
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile no start was moisture in the pcm ecu

thanks to a member of dodge forum

the hair dryer was the right advice worked like a charm

first try.

did the pcm swap and no more issues I keep it on a concrete slab with a roof over but added a small 5" electric fan 115ac 7$ buck wallyworld running off a timer to circulate the air under the hood for the rainy season here in south florida very humid

best regard to the blog

Quick Reply: 2 yrs now elec initial start up check engine light flickers 318ci 5.2l 1997