Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

'01 What is this relay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 01:05 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did u see that burned switch? There's a RECALL for that.

This was posted to another thread by Master Tech:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post3296545

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 05-14-2016 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Add Link
Old 05-14-2016, 03:41 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsdata
OK, so I got apart the upper steering column protector, but the lower part is being held in my the steering wheel adjustment lever...

How do I remove that to get the lower steering column protector off?
just pull it off parallel to the colurm

Old 05-17-2016, 04:41 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain

Any updates?

Old 05-17-2016, 10:41 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just pull it off parallel to the colurm
would not pull off and plastic/rubber coating was beginning to tear trying to get it off, found four small holes in the plastic on the bottom of the lever... one is larger than the others... push on barely visible latch and pull off the plastic lever easily

update is... rain and more rain keeps me from working on this...

I did get the ignition switch in and it did not help my NO Bus situation, just gave me a stiff working key on/off switch... it was not a difficult remove/install except for the fact that you have to bend over backwards to see what you are doing under the steering column.

the prongs were not burned as they were in the picture in the youtube video... I suspect that was a truck recall problem and not a van issue.

I still have to methodically ohm out data wires looking for grounding and pull plugs from modules to see if a module is causing the problem... I am going to recruit a friend to help with this, but rain is forecast all week STILL...

I will post again when I get to the next significant discovery.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:50 PM
SteveR
Captain

I would use a heat gun on each device until you see which one gives you a "No Bus".

Old 05-17-2016, 07:58 PM
rsdata
Captain

as of yesterday I have been getting a consistent NoBus the last several times I fooled with this van... up till late last week it would be good, then bad, then good again with no consistency... really hard to troubleshoot... as has been the case all along.

The last thing van did was buzz the fuel relay (something new) while ignition on for a minute or two before finally quitting the buzzing and just giving me NoBus now... this led me to investigate and replace the ignition switch. Now when I turn the key it just NoBus right off the bat, but occasionally buzzes the fuel relay for 1/2 second every 5th or 6th time I turn the key to ON.

Cool rainy weathe (parked outside)r and not being a daily driver, plus my unwillingness to work till I drop with cramping hands and a weak back is dragging this fix out...

I am fortunate to get good suggestions that I can act on thru this forum... THX

Old 05-19-2016, 04:40 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Thumbs up

That chattering relay is bugging me. I'm wondering if the control wire to it is corroded or just bad.... or even the hot wire. Does either one of them pass thru a splice? I guess the ASD relay is acting normally.
Wish my '01 manual and yours were compatible. With the relay being inside, I wouldn't expect corrosion in its socket.

Hope you find these bugs soon. I know under the dash is the worse place to work.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:37 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain

How's it going? Figured out the fuel pump relay problem? Do you have a scope to look at the relay control signal? Didn't you say you have somebody coming to help you work on the no buss problem? I wish I was close by.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:00 PM
rsdata
Captain

took this late morning with a friend to work on the van... after leaving it the other day dead (NoBus) today it started right up and idled for about 30 minutes before dying, but restarted and again ran for about 30 min. It died and restarted and ran for between 10 and 30 minutes for about 3+ hours before it died and finally gave me NoBus and would not restart. I figure I cannot solve this issue when it is starting and running and not giving me a solid error. At that point my friend had to leave, as I had wasted his time trying to get NoBus so we could do some electrical troubleshooting. This time the fuel pump relay did NOT buzz... not once the whole day. It is now about 9 and it has not ran since about 2 this afternoon, and still gives NoBus, but it is getting dark and I'm not going to start diagnosing on it now... Monday another day...

Old 05-22-2016, 09:17 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain

Had new problem on mine today. Wife pulled into driveway, turned it off, oops, forgot to raise the windows. Turned switch on, NOTHING, NO LIGHTS, HORN, RADIO, NOTHING. Turned out to be negative cable (3 wires in clamp) at battery. Redressed wires and replaced post clamp.

Quick Reply: '01 What is this relay?