Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

'01 What is this relay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 04:21 PM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '01 What is this relay?

Still seeking an answer to my intermittent stall, NoBus problem...

I am pouring through the FSM as best I can, and troubleshooting this problem the best I can...

I thought I had the problem licked, but with finally a little warm weather my problem has returned... I am getting NoBus now almost 80% of the time, although every now and then my instrument cluster jumps to life and I can start... however, sometimes this UNIDENTIFIED RELAY will start to clatter and inevitably, the NoBus will show back up when it stops.

I have pictures from the FSM and pictures from my van, but nowhere can I find a reference to what this relay does. CAN SOMEONE HELP?

In the first pic you see the relay LOWER LEFT... (the other two positions have never had anything in them), the second pic is the wires to the relay (looks like dk grn/blk, lt grn/blk, blk and grey/wht).
Here is the FSM pic and finally the dash fuse block cover reverse side pic.

Can anybody tell me what this relay does? I have swapped it with another I got from the PDC box and they both do the same thing so it is not a bad relay.

thx

Thursday eve...
I think I figured it out... it is the fuel pump relay... wire color codes match the schematic drawing... page 8W-30-3 in the FSM

Attached Thumbnails '01 What is this relay?-02.jpg   '01 What is this relay?-03.jpg   '01 What is this relay?-01.jpg   '01 What is this relay?-04.jpg  

Last edited by rsdata; 05-12-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well....those colors are different from mine, and this is the first time hearing of the FP relay in the JUNCTION BLOCK (FUSE PANEL) .
Does the diagram inside the PDC cover show the FP relay?

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 05-12-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:10 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Thumbs up Fuel pump module wire colors

On page 208 of your manual in CONNECTOR PINOUTS, the wire color of pin 4 in the FUEL PUMP MODULE does not match any of the colors of this relay.

EUREKA!!! PAGE 209 IS A PICTURE OF THE RELAY/FUSE BLOCK. THAT IS THE FUEL PUMP RELAY!!!
Relay wire colors:
Pin 1: light green/black
Pin 2: dark green/white
Pin 3: brown
Pin 4: BLANK
Pin 5: dark green/black

Page 210 is also a chart of the FP wiring.

Couldn't have done it without your pictures.

Clicking relay thought: According to your pictures, the FP relay gets power from the IGNITION SWITCH thru FUSE F6, 10 AMP in the Fuse Block. Clicking could be Ignition Switch problem.

By the way, your fuse block in the dash is totally different from my '01 1500.

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 05-13-2016 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:28 AM
rsdata
Captain

Friar...
our manuals do not match, but are similar... wire colors are the same
the PDC has no fuel pump relay
pic of PDC cover and my FSM showing relay wiring
nowhere, that I can find in the FSM is the fuel pump relay location shown... I tracked it with wire colors.

I will order an ignition switch today... easy things first...

I also took apart connector C205 (C205 shows in the enclosed FSM pic) which is the main junction for about 3/4 of the wires from the dash thru the firewall... I think this would be similar to your junction 7 you were talking about... located above where your left foot would be... all shiny bright connections... see last pic

Attached Thumbnails '01 What is this relay?-07.jpg   '01 What is this relay?-08.jpg   '01 What is this relay?-09.jpg  
Old 05-13-2016, 10:56 AM
rsdata
Captain
Default trying to get at ignition switch

OK, so I got apart the upper steering column protector, but the lower part is being held in my the steering wheel adjustment lever...

How do I remove that to get the lower steering column protector off?

Attached Thumbnails '01 What is this relay?-10.jpg   '01 What is this relay?-11.jpg  
Old 05-13-2016, 07:34 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Smile Tilt Latch

I don't know how to take that off...HAMMER!!!??? I've seen one other thread where that guy was having trouble, too. I'll do some looking around.
In the first pic, what's that sticking out beneath the 4 holes? A latch or retainer, maybe?

I don't guess there's an allen screw.

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 05-13-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:54 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Thumbs up C205

I think you're right. In the 3rd pic, in upper left, looks like the DLC connector. After you get it back together, the DLC connector would be a good place to start continuity or CCD voltage check.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:04 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain

Does the FP relay still click? If so, how does the voltage at the fuse feeding it look?

Old 05-13-2016, 10:01 PM
rsdata
Captain

How do I remove that to get the lower steering column protector off?
There are four small holes on the bottom of the lever... one is larger than the others... push on barely visible latch and pull off the plastic lever revealing a smaller metal steering column lock lever which you can now slip off the column collar and get at the switch.

Now I have to figure out how to take out the ignition switch... a Youtube search brought up one Jeep video that is similar, but NOT the same... still working on getting the switch out.

LOOKED longer for youtube video and I think I see the one that covers my van... at least it looks the same and a parts search seems to show I use the same switch part number... here

Last edited by rsdata; 05-13-2016 at 10:46 PM. Reason: added information
Old 05-13-2016, 10:14 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain

Alright! Progress is good.

Quick Reply: '01 What is this relay?