Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Help replacing water pump on 1999 Ram van

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 11:26 PM
nopeda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help replacing water pump on 1999 Ram van

Hi,

I recently bought a 1999 Dodge Ram van 1/2 ton B1500 5.2L. It seems to need a new water pump since after driving it about 30 miles last week a good bit of coolant was coming out of it, and when I slid under it and looked for the source it seemed to be coming out from the shaft on the water pump. I'm no mechanic but if it's not a really hard thing to replace I'd like to do it myself rather than pay half a paycheck for a garage to do it. Can anyone suggest a good tutorial or video on how to change the water pump on a vehicle like that? Or if it's a difficult project let me know why so I don't make things worse by trying to do the job myself?

Thank you for any help or suggestions!
David

Old 08-30-2016, 06:32 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Look on youtube i'm sure there are some posted. It doesn't have to be a van the trucks and durangos have the same engines (depending on year). Snapping one of the bolts is a major issue that anyone may run into doing it. If you do decide to do it yourself get the bypass hose and a new thermostat. May want to look at your hoses also they may need replacing also. Get a good new pump not a rebuilt that has a lifetime warranty.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:17 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Quick Reply: Help replacing water pump on 1999 Ram van