Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1990 Dodge Van with 318

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 08:40 PM
kbubbs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Dodge Van with 318

Hello to everyone, I have been searching through the various threads and haven't found what I am looking for so here you go.

I have a 1990 Dodge Malahat camper van with a 318 in it. I have 2 issues I'm facing.

1. The parking brake and ABS lights have come on and stay on. The strange thing is that I don't have ABS on this van. I have checked all fluid levels, pad and shoes and there is not problem. The emergency brake works fine and the brakes work fine.

2. When the engine is cold then it hesitates when you first start to put your foot on the accelerator. Once you get past the first 1/2 inch of pressing then it picks up with no problem. Aside from this the engine runs like a dream, doesn't burn oil, and stops hesitating once up to temp.

I really appreciate any insights you may have.

Thanks
Kent

Old 09-23-2016, 06:53 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

look at IAC cleaning sticky on this site published by Stev I think... has to do with hesitation and idle control... can be cleaned with carb cleaner, follow his instructions to the letter... easy to do

I bet you do have ABS...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system

not sure about brake lights, but common problem for brakes on these vans forever has been bad, internally rotted front brake hoses, that collapse and don't release the calipers on the rotors... replace each side for about $10 each... this has worked on my '85, '94 and '01 vans amd gave me better braking performance and gas mileage

WIth a van this old, I would strongly consider bleeding old brake fluid from system and flushing with new fluid... probably will take a qt or more fluid... brake fluid pulls moisture from the air and rots metal brake lines from the inside out... get a Harbor Freight brake line hand vacuum and a helper to accomplish this starting at the rear wheels and working forward. Make sure you don't get air into system... keep new fluid in brake reservoir full at all times.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:30 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by rsdata
look at IAC cleaning sticky on this site published by Stev I think... has to do with hesitation and idle control... can be cleaned with carb cleaner, follow his instructions to the letter... easy to do
The images are gone, but the text is still there.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

Old 09-23-2016, 11:06 AM
kbubbs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by rsdata

I bet you do have ABS...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system

not sure about brake lights, but common problem for brakes on these vans forever has been bad, internally rotted front brake hoses, that collapse and don't release the calipers on the rotors... replace each side for about $10 each... this has worked on my '85, '94 and '01 vans amd gave me better braking performance and gas mileage

WIth a van this old, I would strongly consider bleeding old brake fluid from system and flushing with new fluid... probably will take a qt or more fluid... brake fluid pulls moisture from the air and rots metal brake lines from the inside out... get a Harbor Freight brake line hand vacuum and a helper to accomplish this starting at the rear wheels and working forward. Make sure you don't get air into system... keep new fluid in brake reservoir full at all times.
Thanks a lot for this, I'll give it a go.

Quick Reply: 1990 Dodge Van with 318