Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Which speed sensor for P0720?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 08:37 PM
crazy8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which speed sensor for P0720?

Looking for a little guidance....

99 RAM 1500 5.2L 2WD

Check Engine Light IS on.
ABS Light is NOT on.
Speedometer is working fine.
Tranny seems to be acting a bit funny is lower gears but nothing terrible.

I pulled the code and got a P0720 Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction. The code reader wouldn't reset the code it gave a failure message.

My question is which sensor should I be looking at... the one at the tail of the Tranny or the one on the top of the Rear Differential?

I pulled the sensor on the Tranny and cleaned it up.. It had quite a bit of ferrous metal stuck to it.... Put it back in and no change, light still on, tranny still slipping a bit and code won;t reset.

Thanks

Old 05-19-2005, 09:51 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which speed sensor for P0720?

I looked up the code on the Acron DTC lookup, it came back with "output speed sensor circuit" I can only assume from the wording that they are indicating the output shaft.
You'll need to go to the service manual to continue your trouble shooting

Old 05-23-2005, 08:58 PM
crazy8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured I would post the outcome for anyone in the future.
Since all the 700 series codes were Transmission based codes I took a chance that the sensor was the one on the rear output shaft of the transmission. I also read other posts and it looked like the sensor on the rear differential causes the ABS light to go on and also cause Speedometer problems. I was able to get the sensor from the dealer for about $20. It's a really simple installation all you do is unplug the wire and unscrew it with a 1" wrench. Transmission fluid will spill out the hole so be careful. I found it was easist to park the truck on a steep incline or back the truck onto ramps. This caused all the tranny fluid to flow forward in the transmission so you only loose a few drops. Here is a pretty good picture of where it's at http://www.autoclinic.net/article/chrysler/durango.htm. Once I installed the new sensor I noticed that the transmission shift problems were gone but the Check Engine Light was still on. I was to lazy to go back the the autoparts store and borrow their meter to reset the code so I took the easy way out, I unplugged the battery for a few minutes and when reconnected the light was gone. This was a very simple fix that could be done by just about anyone.

Old 05-25-2005, 08:41 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey thanks for the info.

I'm glad I bought a stick, but I may also see my words come back to bite me in the *** someday too. I got the new 6 speed getrag, and from what I understand, they've had their problems too!

Quick Reply: Which speed sensor for P0720?