Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Cruise control / overdrive issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 04:49 PM
deputydiesel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control / overdrive issue

Man I hope some one can help me with this. I did a search of this site and the internet, found nothing.

I have a 98 Dodge ram 1500 SLT. I would say that for the last5 yrs I have had this problem. I have taken it to mechanics and they just look at me funny. Whenever I activate my cruise control, the overdrive will shut off and I wont be able to turn it back on. I will be able to ride with cruis eon with no issues for anywhere form a half hour to a hour and then all of a sudden the O/D will shut off and my RPMs go up. I turn off cruise but am unable to turn my O/D back on. I will pull over and turn my truck off for a while and usually I will be able to get it to turn back on but sometimes I have to remove the battery cables. Resetting the computer I guess. Over the years I have had different sensors replaced in hopes however, to no avail.

I am not by any means a engine mechanic but I am more capable than the average guy. I have looked online, in books, and talked to mechanics. I got nothing more than "well maybe its you computer".

Any ideas?

Old 02-22-2007, 08:47 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: Cruise control / overdrive issue

My first thought...Don't use your cruise control!! (Just kidding!) I'm sure you've heard that one before! I assume this never happens with the CC off, am I correct in that assumption? What sensors have you changed in the past? Is thisfactory system or after market? Do you have the OD button on the dash (I do on my 96), if so, have you ever noticed if the OD light is on or off (with mine the light ON indicated the OD is off)? If you do have the button, have you ever cycled it? Have you ever gotten a check engine light? If so, what were the codes? Lastly, with an electronic transmission, the dealer (or a good trany shop) has the ability to read any trany faults in memory (if you DONT disconnect the battery for 10/15 min) using a special scan tool (this can't be done at a parts store). I'm surprised the mech you took it to didn’t tell you not to disconnect the bat, so they could see the fault (if any flagged in the tranny computer (TCM)). Try this and see if it yeilds any information.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:00 PM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check with Dodge because I'm pretty sure I saw a recall regarding that. They will need your vin# to see if the recall items have been performed on your truck. Any Dodge dealership can do this ask for the service manager.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:16 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: deputydiesel

Man I hope some one can help me with this. I did a search of this site and the internet, found nothing.

I have a 98 Dodge ram 1500 SLT. I would say that for the last5 yrs I have had this problem. I have taken it to mechanics and they just look at me funny. Whenever I activate my cruise control, the overdrive will shut off and I wont be able to turn it back on. I will be able to ride with cruis eon with no issues for anywhere form a half hour to a hour and then all of a sudden the O/D will shut off and my RPMs go up. I turn off cruise but am unable to turn my O/D back on. I will pull over and turn my truck off for a while and usually I will be able to get it to turn back on but sometimes I have to remove the battery cables. Resetting the computer I guess. Over the years I have had different sensors replaced in hopes however, to no avail.

I am not by any means a engine mechanic but I am more capable than the average guy. I have looked online, in books, and talked to mechanics. I got nothing more than "well maybe its you computer".

Any ideas?
Both your cruise control disengage, and the TC unlock circuit, are tied into your brake light switch. The switch has an adjustable pluger on it that must be set to the correct depth. The switch has probably worn out. I do mine about every 2 years. It seems to have just so much life to it.

Follow the vertical pushbar from the brake pedal, upwards. On the front side of that pushbar you will see the switch. It has a little mushroom shaped head. You will have to drop the lower dash panel to access the switch. Turn it at a 45 degree angle to remove it.

When you go to set the new switch in place, you MUST press down on the brake pedal. Just push moderately. No need to bury the pedal. You are only making room for the switch plunger.

Take the brake switch, and CAREFULLY pull the plunger out about 3/8 or an inch. It has detents so it will click, click, click it's way outward. It will sound like the switch is breaking. That's normal.

Now install the switch at that 45 degree angle, and then turn it to 90 to lock it in place. Plug in the wire harness before or after switch installation. It does not matter, (on a 95' anyway).

Before you release the pedal, your brake lights should be on.

Now SLOWLY release the brake pedal. It will make contact with the switch plunger, and automatically set the correct depth. Just don't let the pedal snap back. Once the pedal is back all the way, your brake lights should be out.

You should be all set. If that switch is not properly set, the cruise will continuously disengage, and the tc will unlock, lock, unlock, lock.

Before you even remove the old switch you can push on your brake pedal by hand to see if it is too sensitive. It should travel a half inch or so before the lights come on. If the brake lights come on as soon as you touch it, the switch is bad. Sometimes you can just restet the plunger depth. Usually not though.

It's a cheap way to see if that fixes the problem. Let us know how you make out.

I hope this helps.

Good luck with your ride.

Quick Reply: Cruise control / overdrive issue