Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:51 PM
silver_charger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission help

i own a 2001 stratus coupe with the 3.0 liter v6 and auto tranny today i was driving home and it reved high due to me having my foot on the gas so i pulled over come to find out that transmission will not shift well it shifts but it will not move in any gear does anyone have any idea what the problem could be im hoping something simple maybe a relay or something like that my fluid level is full and clean any help would be great

you can email me at hemi_fever2003@yahoo.com or cal me at 740-475-4098 or post on here

thanks
sebastian

Old 08-03-2010, 02:43 PM
ratsttam
Captain

If it was a relay or electrical problem to the trans, it would drop to "Limp Home Mode", which is a lock in to 2nd gear or reverse. It's designed to be driveable and not tear up the trans. If it's not doing that, there is a good possibility that it's an internal problem (torque converter failure, flex plate, clutches, etc).
Try to get a dealer or someone with a DRBIII tool that can read trans codes and information and post back with that. It'll shed a lot of light on things. Best of luck.

Make sure that it's filled properly (need to check fluid level in Park on a level surface with the engine running) and ONLY put ATF+4 transmission fluid (strawberry red fluid). If it looks or smells burnt, it will likely need to be replaced.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:44 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Unfortunately, its something major. This has been very common as of late. Your wave ring crapped on you Im betting. You need your transmission rebuilt. There is an upgraded wave ring, but the trans needs removed and opened up. You're looking at about $1500 in repairs. Take it somewhere for a true diagnosis.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:12 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Since Sappro decided to add info to my PM box, I figured I would just pass it on, since it doesn't really help ME any, but Silver_Charger might find it useful.

Originally Posted by sapporo
"Try to get a dealer or someone with a DRBIII tool that can read trans codes and information and post back with that. It'll shed a lot of light on things. Best of luck."

I can scan and diagnose this trans problem without DRBIII I use a snapon mt2500 and it'll do everything the DRB can for dagnosis. so he doesn't need to go to a dealer, no does he need to get someone to only use a DRBIII

You are telling the guy he has to find someone with a DRBIII (dealer) to get his car checked. He can have it checked by anyone with a real scanner.
There are some independent shops, and some more advanced do-it-yourself type people have spent hundreds of dollars on the drbIII compliant scan tool, such as Sappro's Snap-On.

Last edited by ratsttam; 08-04-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: punctuation error
Old 08-04-2010, 12:12 PM
silver_charger

these are the codes that come up p0765 p0755 and p1751 first two are shift solenoids it says the other one im not sure any help

Old 08-04-2010, 12:59 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by silver_charger
these are the codes that come up p0765 p0755 and p1751 first two are shift solenoids it says the other one im not sure any help
P1751 Transmission Throttle Valve Position Sensor Minimum Range Performance.
What THAT means, I'm not quite sure. Your next step is to get it to a dealer or reputable transmission place, since it really is looking like an internal problem.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:22 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My apologies, it not a wave ring that could be the culprit, its the wave SPRING. I dont have an auto so I wasnt 100%.
Hopefully the link works, because there is a lot of good information.
http://www.2gstratus.org/forums/inde...howtopic=37901

Sapporo, for the sake of looking like an ***, if someone mentions they own a 2001-2005 Stratus or Sebring Coupe, refrain from posting.
Originally Posted by sapporo
there is no "wave ring" inside a 41TE trans. the only 'wave' part is a wavy snap ring but it would only affect reverse.
Originally Posted by pearl01stratcpe
If we were talking about the 41TE transmission, you would be right. Since we are talking about the F4A51 found in the coupes like the poster mentioned in the transmission thread, you are wrong.

Quick Reply: Transmission help