Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

trans/radiator hookup

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:12 PM
creeper02
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans/radiator hookup

I will start by saying that this site is absolutely amazing. I find tons of useful information on here simply by searching. I did not see anything that answered my question which follows...

If I missed a thread that answers this, I apologize.

6 months ago I had my radiator replaced due to a crack on the top. Ever since, I've had a very slow trans fluid leak coming from the fitting connecting from my transmission to the radiator itself (chalking this up to a crappy aftermarket product). When I tightened the fitting to the radiator, it started leaking at a faster rate. After talking to a friend who has been working as a mechanic (not professionally) for quite some time, he said that instead of buying a new radiator that won't leak, I can just bypass the radiator by looping the inlet to the outlet hose of the transmission. It is his knowledge that the transmission on a Stratus is similar to the transmission on the old Shadows, which don't even hook up to the radiator.

Due to me being broke, this is currently what I have (no trans to radiator hookup). My question is....how long can I do this for before seeing any negative impacts? I've only been driving it like this for less than 20 miles but see no difference in transmission performance (yet).

Also, I was thinking about instead of getting a new radiator, get a oil cooler type thing that is cheaper and I can mount somewhere below the hood.

Thanks all for the help!

2002 Stratus se

Old 11-11-2011, 11:43 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
How long is your warranty good for on the radiator?

Old 11-12-2011, 01:06 PM
creeper02
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest, I don't even know. There may not even be one for it.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:18 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I would check into it.

Quick Reply: trans/radiator hookup