Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

question on tune up for 05 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 AM
mutant
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on tune up for 05 2.4

I have to admit I have never worked on a newer style dodge engine before other than to change the plugs or oil. My Girlfriend has an 05 stratus sedan with the 2.4 engine
I have changed the plugs and oil and air filter, but wanted to do a full tune up,On my my cars I know where everything is and had no problem finding what needed to be done. On this car every time I did a search online I got nothing...which brings me too here.

It does not have coil packs but what looks like a central coil for lack of a better term where the 4 wires go too the top. But the way they made it, it looks damn near impossible to get to the back screws to take the top off of it...do I even need too?
I want too do a full tune up on it, so does this motor have a cap and rotor? Where is the fuel filter, PCV valve and is there anything else I need to change or address ? Thanks in advance
The car runs really good but I want too keep it that way

Old 09-14-2013, 08:54 AM
mutant

ok so is my question really that stupid? with over a 100 views and not one reply

Old 09-14-2013, 04:40 PM
BillS
Captain

not a stupid question lot of people browse as guests ,i'll answer what I can not that familiar with the 2.4 how many miles are on car?, there is no cap(spark plug wires go on coil) or rotor electronic ignition, fuel filter is part of the fuel pump(not serviceable have to replace pump), pcv valve not sure where its located on 2.4 ,no idea about changing coil if its running good I would leave it ,might last forever or could go bad next week, only other thing I can think of that might be a concern is how many miles on timing belt

Old 09-15-2013, 09:33 AM
mutant

Car has a 107 miles up until last Dec it only had about 94000 so this past year we put about 1200 a month on it. Runs fine just a slight but not smooth at idle but you cant tell unless you are outside of the car. Then you can hear it just not super smooth or quiet. But runs great(knock wood)
I change the oil every 2000 miles or just shy of every 2 months...I am guessing the timing belt is original but I do not know, she got the car and a few years ago and Never drove it...it was a rebuilt title car from the auction.

But NO issues other than the fan will only work on the highest setting, any other setting it wont blow/work at all? Any ideas on that? So I guess I will just change the plugs*any suggestions on a really good plug for this motor* Change the oil and air filter and put a new O2 sensor and PCV valve. Not much else I can do, are these cars ok with having the throttle body cleaned with TB spray?
I was also thinking of doing a seafoam to the vacum system and getting all the carbon out...anybody do that on one of these?

Old 09-15-2013, 01:03 PM
BillS
Captain

I would be concerned(not knowing history of car) about the timing belt , believe(not 100% sure you might be able to find out by calling your local dodge parts with last 9 of your vin ) 2005 is still an interference type engine ,if belt breaks good chance valves will be damaged by pistons .
most likely the resistor for fan is bad(high speed doesn't run thru the resistor) its located on passenger side behind glove box.
the throttle body can be sprayed without any problem don't use to much at one time short bursts while giving it a little gas.
I say stick with champion plugs (original brand for car).
never tried running seafoam thru vacuum system did have a fuel system cleaning once they do something similar didn't notice any difference afterwards. did get an engine light(forget what code) because of cleaning that went away after 60 miles

Last edited by BillS; 09-15-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: question on tune up for 05 2.4