Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

1997 Stratus died suddenly while driving-acted like it was out of gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 02:46 AM
SpicyWhiteDevil
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Stratus died suddenly while driving-acted like it was out of gas

Hi im working on a 1997 dodge stratus with the 2.4l engine. While i was driving, i exited off the interstate..when i approached the red light, the rpms dropped and started sputtering like it was out of gas. (But, obviously not the issue) So i pressed down on the gas and kept it alive for the light to turn green. It slowly crept up to speed while hesitating and jerking and then caught and drove normal for about another 2 miles. Approached another red light and it happened again, kept it alive by basically flooring it and eventually it slowed down and died, just like as if it was out of gas. Had to get a tow home. So i changed the fuel pump assembly and the fuel filter. No luck. Next i changed the crankshaft and camshaft sensor. Still no luck. I'm getting good pressure at the fuel rail, what else could it be to make the car suddenly died within 3-5 minutes, with seemingly NO warning signs or precursors leading up to it.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:16 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Have you scanned for codes? First step before just throwing parts at it hoping for a fix.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:14 PM
Rosco80
Default Catalytic Converters

I have a 2001 that had a similar problem. After trying everything I could think of - I checked the catalytic converters and the material inside broke loose and was clogging it. I replaced them and it worked fine after that. Hope that helps.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Blade~

Hello everybody, just joined this forum. Have a 1997 Stratus and just started to experience the same issue. Car runs great cold, after about 5 miles engine shuts off. I can stop, turn ignition off, might restarts, might not. If it restarts I can keep it 'running' by pumping the gas or either flooring it, but the best it sounds as if it runs on 2 cylinders. It would run for a while like that then shuts off completely. If I let it cool down again it starts/runs fantastic.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:25 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Blade~
Hello everybody, just joined this forum. Have a 1997 Stratus and just started to experience the same issue. Car runs great cold, after about 5 miles engine shuts off. I can stop, turn ignition off, might restarts, might not. If it restarts I can keep it 'running' by pumping the gas or either flooring it, but the best it sounds as if it runs on 2 cylinders. It would run for a while like that then shuts off completely. If I let it cool down again it starts/runs fantastic.
Welcome to the forum. Have you scanned it for stored DTC's? Is the MIL light on? How many miles? What engine? Maintenance history? These things are needed in order to assist you.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:40 AM
Blade~

Hi J, thanks for the reply.

Sadly it's looking more and more as a head gasket issue.

The car was in a barn on blocks with no wheels for over 10 years. Heavily modified with nitros injection, fuel mixture sensor, professional lowering kit, koni shocks, frame stabilizer, converted to all disk breaks and many more things (still evaluating it). Came with some parts too including engine parts like cam shaft, valve lifters, new intake manifold ... etc. Apparently it was used as an experimental car for high performance modifications but a divorce put a halt on the project 10-12 years ago so she ended up in a barn at a farm. I got wheels for it and was able to drive it home (45 minute drive) but shortly after started to act up.

It's a 2.4, 122K miles, automatic (did they make these manual?) well maintained, even looking inside the engine looks as it was brand new. Very clean car, including engine compartment.

No engine light but doesn't seem to have any lights on the dash. Gages all work but not a single light so I'll have to take that apart too. Maybe it was meant to be a racer or something eventually?

Attached Thumbnails 1997 Stratus died suddenly while driving-acted like it was out of gas-img_1377.jpg   1997 Stratus died suddenly while driving-acted like it was out of gas-img_1380.jpg   1997 Stratus died suddenly while driving-acted like it was out of gas-img_1374.jpg   1997 Stratus died suddenly while driving-acted like it was out of gas-img_1375.jpg   1997 Stratus died suddenly while driving-acted like it was out of gas-img_1378.jpg  

1997 Stratus died suddenly while driving-acted like it was out of gas-img_1379.jpg   1997 Stratus died suddenly while driving-acted like it was out of gas-img_1382.jpg