3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Newbie with suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 10:37 AM
Botumfedr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with suspension issues

'06 Dakota V8 Quadcab having a noisy front suspension. Dealer says control arms and ball joint replacement for $2700 plus alignment. NOT! Looking at the parts, it appears that the lower control arms (that's what the dealer reccomended) are making the noise (89,000MI) and the Rockauto parts (left and right) include the ball joints for about $265/pr. Appears that the ball joints on the upper arms may need some replacement also or do the complete upper control arm w/ball joints need to be replaced/ordered. Are upper ball joints sold separate from the replacement upper control arms or are they integral with the upper control arms? Should I just replace the bushings on the upper control arms instead? Seems like they would have put greaseable ball joints up front OEM but I guess Mopar did not think of that.
Labor done locally- what can I expect for the approx time charge for the work?

Old 09-27-2016, 12:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Very few of the OEM's are putting in greasable anything any more. Leads to replacement revenue..... (planned obsolescence.)

If the upper joints are available separately, Rock Auto should list them. If not, then, probably have to replace the entire control arm.

Welcome to DF!

Old 10-04-2016, 10:45 PM
Trailboss318

Good info here

Old 10-06-2016, 12:13 AM
djibara
Professional
Default Front suspension

Upper control arm/ball joint comes as one can not replace just ball joint . MOOG Problem Solver uppers, lower balljoints and end links are greaseable and come with a good warranty worth it in the long run

Old 10-11-2016, 12:11 PM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by djibara
Upper control arm/ball joint comes as one can not replace just ball joint . MOOG Problem Solver uppers, lower balljoints and end links are greaseable and come with a good warranty worth it in the long run
I have a recently installed moog problem solver ball joint that is squeaking pretty badly. I think the problem I'm having is that the zerk fitting is jammed and wont let the grease in. I'm going to replace the fitting when I swap over to winter tires in hopes I can save the ball joint.

Quick Reply: Newbie with suspension issues