2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mini-guide on replacing Infinity System!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:39 PM
Maximillio
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini-guide on replacing Infinity System!

I recently replaced ALL of the speakers in my truck with a 5-Channel Amp'd system. Its made up of 5-1/2in Component fronts (With the tweeter in the A-pillars), 5-1/2in 3-Ways in the back, and two 10inch Shallow mount subs behind the seats. Truck is an 01 Ram with the Stock Infinity system originally.

So heres is a write up of sorta what I did with some pictures for parts requested by some one! Obviously to do this you need to remove ALOT of trim and in my case the seats as well to put in the sub box and amp, as well as run wires.

PRE-READ NOTE: I RAN ALL NEW WIRING STRAIGHT FROM MY AMP AND THIS POST IS AIMED MOSTLY AT THAT AND SOLVING A PROBLEM I FACED!

The rear speakers are easy to take out, theres only two screws holding them in and a small quick disconnect harness. Easy to replace and wire those! Just screw the new ones in (I added some 3M double sided tape to reduce/eliminate any metal on metal contact that would've resulted in annoying vibration noise, as 5-1/2in seemed a hair small, at least mine did), and connect the wires.

Since I ran all new wires off the amp to the speaker locations,The trouble you will have will be with replacing the door speakers. Again, the rears are easy. Removing the front infinity speaker was strange. First you have to unscrew the speaker, then remove the case covering the amp on the speaker, THEN unscrew the amp from the speaker. You'll notice one thing quite quickly. The wiring for the amp doesnt disconnect, so you guessed it YOU GOTTA CUT THE FACTORY AMP WIRES
Here is where the main problem arose for me. I needed to find a way to get the wiring for the crossover to tweeters, and the speakers wires itself through the door and into the cab. Turns out the cab to door rubber grommet doesn't run straight through like I expected (probably my naiveness) It runs to a quick disconnect harness located on the inside of the cab wall, just where you would expect it to. So Here is my solution to adresss this problem. First thing I noticed is that on the other side of the amps now unused wiring was a harness in the door with different color wires on the other side like so:
Mini-guide on replacing Infinity System!-13btfbs.jpg

I then traced those wires into the cab to see if they were the same on the inside, they appeared to be, but I did test for continuity to be sure, as I suggest you do. So I took notes and wrote what each color on the harness in each door corresponded to when it changed color and came through the in cab harness as shown here:
Mini-guide on replacing Infinity System!-plv4hsc.jpg

I then snipped the unused wires on the inside that I would use for the speakers + and - and crimped connectors and heatshrink on them as shown here (You can also see my speaker wire that will connect to them as well inside the cab):
Mini-guide on replacing Infinity System!-t9ajmtq.jpg

It was at this point I noticed that the coloring on that harness matched with the rear speakers + and - as well as the tweeters + and - for that side of the car (As expected since each sides door amp powers that sides speakers). So I took advantage of this and made my tweeter make use of the factory tweeter location/connection shown here:
Mini-guide on replacing Infinity System!-5ew5coj.jpg

Mini-guide on replacing Infinity System!-98yuptj.jpg

And heres what the amps wiring harness in the door looked like after I added appropriate terminals and wired in the crossover

Mini-guide on replacing Infinity System!-9vzrz6u.jpg

Mini-guide on replacing Infinity System!-zjda66w.jpg

And at this point all the wiring was done and so I went ahead and connected the speaker back and put it in, as you can tell there were no wires hanging between the door and cab, and the new run wire was out of sight under the carpet and behind the kick panel.
Mini-guide on replacing Infinity System!-likksod.jpg

Mini-guide on replacing Infinity System!-ciqpbl4.jpg

And heres the tweeters (Drivers side had aftermarket A-pillar so its a bit different looking but it functions fine!
Mini-guide on replacing Infinity System!-v28rkwj.jpg

Mini-guide on replacing Infinity System!-3v31oi9.jpg

And thats that!!! Thats how I was able to wire the new speakers straight to my amp, and find a way to get the doors wiring into the cab by utilizing the unused factory amp wires.

I wanted to also note, on the drivers side I also had to use a few more wires to wire in an alarm system lock/unlock wires, the process was the same for those (but more of a pain in the rump as that side wouldnt even come off for me haha) but I got it working as well, just had to trace onto the upper door harness there (Did I forget to mention theres 2 plugs on the inside of the cab :P, most of them were in bottom one that I used) ANYWAYS it made a good use for unused wires!~

I hope this can be of help to someone in the future who comes across a similar problem of wiring new speakers or trying to get signal through the door joint, which you'd better hope you got some snipped and unused wires running through it!

Old 01-23-2017, 11:47 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Here are some photos of the system at other points during the project, I have all the interior back in at this point.
OH and it sounds A++++ Super duper good, If you've never heard a full system running on an amp, I do recommend it, as opposed to only amping subs.

Mini-guide on replacing Infinity System!-eho6cht.jpg
Mini-guide on replacing Infinity System!-8jmg76s.jpg

Old 01-24-2017, 12:04 PM
ram-tuff
Professional

Thanks Max, this will really help when I get to it myself!