2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Told I need to replace gears in the rear, any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 06:08 AM
tianniccari
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Told I need to replace gears in the rear, any thoughts?

Hey guys, I picked my truck up yesterday from AAMCO (not happy about it) and the guy jokingly said "I wrote you a little book on the bottom" and started chuckling.. while I'm reading it, it said the "rear gears need to be replaced. Large tires are choppy and truck will not hold lock up and overdrive at highway speeds due to modifications." Then said the shifter is way off (instead of fixing it, I have to.. not hard but wtf?) then they. Long story short, after agreeing to a 2 year 24k mile warranty.. They did the work, called and said the truck was done, when I went to pick it up they said they aren't going to honor the warranty unless I fix these things. What am I supposed to do? Buy all new tires, regear, etc? It would be cheaper to keep running this trans until it goes again and replace it again down the line.. any thoughts? Costs on re-gearing, etc. I have a Dana 44 in the front & 9.25" in the back. If I re-gear I will be doing Yukon 4.88 front and rear. Is that a job I could do myself or something that shouldn't really be messed with?

Old 01-24-2017, 06:08 AM
tianniccari
Rookie

Oh and it's the off road package so it came stock with 4.10's and currently on 35's

Old 01-24-2017, 06:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Can you even find 4.88's for your axles any more? I seem to recall that was getting difficult....

Do you want to go with larger tires? If you are going to stick with the 35's, 4.56 would be better.

Shift linkage shouldn't be too bad to deal with. May have to do a bit of welding.... (since you have the body lift.)

You are looking at around 1500 or so to regear both axles. If you haven't done it before, I don't recommend trying to do it yourself. Its not a simple procedure, and doing it 'not quite right' means you will get to do it again soon. (hence, the high cost.)

Old 01-24-2017, 06:52 AM
tianniccari
Rookie

****.. the shift linkage is easy. It's just adjusting the little set bolt lol but I had found the 4.88's in the past but haven't looked recently. I have never done gears before so I probably wouldn't attempt it lol. I would ideally like to go up to 38's in the future but for right now the 35's are alright

Old 01-24-2017, 08:13 AM
mokurt
Amateur

Originally Posted by tianniccari
Long story short, after agreeing to a 2 year 24k mile warranty.. They did the work, called and said the truck was done, when I went to pick it up they said they aren't going to honor the warranty unless I fix these things.
Something wrong here.
You had to agree to purchase the warranty before they did the work?

They should have disclosed all of this first before you paid a dime IMO.

Last edited by mokurt; 01-24-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:49 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As your truck sits you are geared lower than a non-sport truck with stock 31's and 3.55's, so you are revving higher at highway speeds. The argument is invalid, or else they should not warranty any stock 2nd gen ram that comes through the door. This is besides the obvious that they should be telling you this kind of thing upfront before working on it. Sounds like you need to grow a backbone and speak to someone with some authority there