2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wide band oxygen sensore, is this working?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 04:57 AM
nicraage
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wide band oxygen sensore, is this working?

I bought an innovate wide band oxygen sensor (model 3795) a while back, and it didn't appear to be working properly. I recently replaced the actual oxygen sensor part, which is a bosch brand and plugs into the innovate harness, thinking it was damaged during installation.

It reads (from memmory) 22.4 while the car is running, and drops to 7.5 when the truck is off. It was my impression that this should be changing as I rev the engine, but it basically pops on to 22.4 when started and back to 7.5 when turned off. I've had this mounted deeper into the exhaust pipe, thinking it wasn't getting enough air flow, but no change. Is this working properly? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

No, it isn't working properly. At least, I should hope not..... if it is, you are running incredibly lean.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:14 AM
nicraage
Professional

any advice on getting it to read? How deep or shallow does it need to be in the airstream? I've never been able to get this tuned because of this. I have dual exhaust with 2.5" pipes. It's about two feet behind the shorty headers.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:41 AM
ram-tuff
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's interesting voltage. I need to look this up to find out what is proper in all scenarios.

I use a bluetooth obdII adapter and Torque Pro to monitor my truck and the O2 sensors jump all over the place on voltage. Usually around 3-7 volts all the time while driving. I need to pay more attention to that number again and find the specs on those factory style sensors.

So I wouldn't think a wide band sensor would work with a stock computer. Wouldn't think it would be able to read it properly to take advantage of its readings. Am I wrong about that?

Old 02-17-2017, 10:53 AM
nicraage
Professional

Originally Posted by ram-tuff
That's interesting voltage. I need to look this up to find out what is proper in all scenarios.

I use a bluetooth obdII adapter and Torque Pro to monitor my truck and the O2 sensors jump all over the place on voltage. Usually around 3-7 volts all the time while driving. I need to pay more attention to that number again and find the specs on those factory style sensors.

So I wouldn't think a wide band sensor would work with a stock computer. Wouldn't think it would be able to read it properly to take advantage of its readings. Am I wrong about that?
This has it's own meter, so it's not connected to the truck computer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INNOVATE-379...5YpSiO&vxp=mtr

I have an android radio in the truck with torque, I'm pretty sure it is pro. I also have a bluetooth obd reader, but I think the tuner needs a wideband reading which is why I bought this expensive thing (twice).

Old 02-17-2017, 01:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by nicraage
any advice on getting it to read? How deep or shallow does it need to be in the airstream? I've never been able to get this tuned because of this. I have dual exhaust with 2.5" pipes. It's about two feet behind the shorty headers.
Think I would try and get it up closer to the collectors on the headers. Most any exhaust shop should be able to do you up. (well, if you were in the states anyway.....) Get the sensor as far into the center of the exhaust stream as you can. (that's where the most flow is.)

Originally Posted by ram-tuff

Wide band should report mixture ratio, not voltage.... 22.something is incredibly lean, and HAS to be wrong.

The factory sensor should read between 0 and 1 volt. It bounces around a lot as the PCM is constantly adjusting mixture ratio.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:07 PM
nicraage
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Think I would try and get it up closer to the collectors on the headers. Most any exhaust shop should be able to do you up. (well, if you were in the states anyway.....) Get the sensor as far into the center of the exhaust stream as you can. (that's where the most flow is.)

Wide band should report mixture ratio, not voltage.... 22.something is incredibly lean, and HAS to be wrong.

The factory sensor should read between 0 and 1 volt. It bounces around a lot as the PCM is constantly adjusting mixture ratio.
I've got a guy who can handle that, thanks for the advice. It's going to have to wait a bit, though, I am finally getting my baby out tonight! I've been without her for a couple months.