2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission moving tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 07:50 AM
rlordjr
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Transmission moving tips?

My son and I are installing a rebuilt 4.7 into a 4wd and having trouble getting the engine back in. I've searched and found a thread with the same problems we are having and Magnethead's suggestion to slide the transmission back 6 inches, then set the engine down on the mounts, then push the trans back up into place. That is along the lines of what i was thinking to do but can anyone give me tips on moving the transmission back? Can I do that without pulling the trans? I'm hoping I can just hold it with a jack, remove the mount bolts and slide back with the driveshaft in place...is that the way it works or do I have to drop the shaft?

Hoping someone makes my day with good news...

Last edited by rlordjr; 02-26-2017 at 08:36 AM. Reason: changed icon
Old 02-22-2017, 07:29 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

No, you have to drop the shaft. It's not hard at all, 4 bolts at the diff and the shaft slips out of t-case (I assume...havent looked at a 4x4). The transmission crossmember slides back 8" or so then drops straight down (it's a swedge fit into the frame rails). I havent messed with a 545RFE so i dont know how the shifter mechanism is attached.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:25 PM
rlordjr
Amateur

Thanks, magnethead. I was just under there last night looking it over and it does seem pretty straightforward. I really only need a few inches for the motor to slip in and set straight. We'll give it a try tonight and report back.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:42 AM
rlordjr
Amateur

She's in! Thanks for the tips Magnethead! We got the trans moved back a few inches - did not have to remove the front driveshaft (4WD) as it has a couple of inches of spline travel - boy does that need some grease on it. But as suggested did unbolt the main driveshaft from the rear diff.

Used an actual tranny jack to hold everything and that made it easier and I'll guess safer since the trans + transfer case is pretty heavy and awkward.

Today we'll mate the trans and engine and start to hook everything back up.