1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Hearing this noise from first to second gear...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 12:21 AM
zaneinsane
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hearing this noise from first to second gear...

I left work today and noticed that when my car shifted from 1st to second gear that it made this noise.It kinda sounded like the belt chirped?Anyways, i slowed down and started going again....same thing.I drove my venge home and parked it.
I have a 98 ES auto, V6.I was thinking it might be the timing belt, but im unsure.Just slightly paranoid that it may be.Could it be anything else?

Old 05-04-2007, 12:39 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: Hearing this noise from first to second gear...

The timing belt won't make a noise that you can hear over the motor's clanking, lol.
Sounds like A/C/Power Steering/Alternator belt making the possible sound.
Was your A/C on? Were your lights dimming?

Old 05-04-2007, 08:13 PM
zaneinsane
Rookie

Nope neither....I figured id get all the belts changed next week, just to be safe.I swear thats what i heard.Either that or all the reading ive been doing the last few weeks about how your supposed to change your timing belt every 60,000 miles made me paranoid..
I was actually reading something some where if you snap a belt, you have to get your engine rebuilt.For bending the valves or something to that effect.I know i heard a damn belt lol.Or a sqeak that sounded like a belt.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:44 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yeah, the motors are interferrence motors so if you're driving down the road and the T-belt snaps, it's almost a guaranteed motor rebuild. The T-belt won't squeal or squeak, it will just break. The accessory belts will make noises when it's slipping from either being old or worn pulley bearings.

Quick Reply: Hearing this noise from first to second gear...