1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

'Venger won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 03:49 AM
yanickee
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Venger won't start

Hey,
Here is the deal!
Both of my serpentine belts snaped, and I cannot start my car! First i thought maybe my battery is dead, since there is no power coming from alternator, but I hooked up the jump cables, and nothing, all i hear is just one click and that's it!
Checked my timing belt, that sucker is still on its place! So, I hope my engine is still in running condition! But I would appreciate any ideas that might cause engine to seize!
Thanks!

Old 05-05-2007, 11:02 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: 'Venger won't start

You lost me Yani. So, your accessory belts snapped and now you can't get the car to start? There's some info somewhere in there that's missing.
The accessory belts breaking won't hurt the motor because the major components are ran by the T-belt. The harmonic balancer/crankshaft damper/pulley runs the accessory belts btw.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:51 PM
yanickee
Professional

Silver,
Belts snapped, car died in a matter or seconds, I tried to start it, but no luck! The remains of the belts were all over the place, I had to take them off, but i might have some left. So I have no idea what could be wrong! Currently I am on my shor vacation and not able to actually look at the problem. So as soon as I get back I will defenately post more details, but in a mean time, thank you a lot for the reply!

Old 05-07-2007, 10:15 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Hmm, the only thing I can think of at the moment is for you to replace both accessory belts and try again when you get back. It's a little odd to me too.
You also may have a dead cell or two in your battery. Check when you get back if your interior lights still light up and your headlights. Also check your fuses in the engine bay. One thing to really look for is damaged electrical connectors. If the belt snapped chances are good that they may have taken out some wiring

Old 05-11-2007, 12:57 PM
yanickee
Professional

Hey Silver,
Here is the real deal! Checked my battery, charged it, still nothing. It turn once, but did not start the engine! So had no other option but to take it to MIDAS! They tried to start it, same thing, only will go one crank and that's it! So they told me that my timing can be off (which means, my enigne is f***ed basically). To retime and do other related work without putting a new timing belt would cost around $250, it's without putting other belts! But the worst case, I would have to replace the motor! So the next question would be, how much is a used engine would cost me? Or what else could be done to fixed the Venge for cheap?
Thanks!

Old 05-12-2007, 02:28 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

If you've have to get motor work done, you know what you could do? Swap in the 3.0L parts. If you can afford some down time, that's what I would recommend. If down time isn't an option, then you may not have too much of an option bud.
If you've got a little bit of time, I suggest checking your crank/cam timing as per manual. That's what I would do first before any motor work.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:30 PM
yanickee
Professional

Hey Silver,
Bad NEWS! Seems that the piece of my acc. belt got into timing belt and seized the engine! Mechanic told me that my valves are all messed up and that it will cost me $1500! And I guess I can afford some down time! Summer is here and I have nothing else to do! Can you guide me thru 3.0L swap part! Cause I was thinking about getting a NEW cylinder head on ebay and call it a day! But if I can do better with the same amount of money! I will go for it! So, let me know my option! Thanks!

Quick Reply: 'Venger won't start