1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

1995 avenger 2.0 D0Hc wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:06 AM
sc.avenger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 avenger 2.0 D0Hc wont start

hi im new to this forum I recently bought a 95 avenger 2.0 D0hc Automatic,in non running condition, the valve cover was leaking to where the number 1 spark plug was but now fixed ,put in new ngk sparkplugs,
the man that owned the car last, tried to install a sony cd player in it and didnt tape any of the wires, ckecked all fuses under dash, and engine compartment, found blown fuses replaced them, and took out stereo so i assume that part is fixed,
but what i cant figure out is why it wont stay running, the car will turn over and over and will eventually start but then shut off, i turn it over again and again it will eventually start again and quit, i did a compression test to check for motor problems came up good, checked the fuel pump by putting 12 volts to it, its humming for as long as i hold it to the battery.
from the fuel pump connector there is a black wire which is negative, and a black and blue wire that goes to a relay far left of the four on the fire wall, i think power is only going there part of the time, cuttingthe system off of fuel , during the cranking process sometimes it sounds like it wants to start but it wont, other times it will back fire through the exhaust, other times through the throttle body. sounds great when it runs, until it dies, sometimes it will idle higher, and just quit and and other times it will just quit. i think also the car has an anti theft on it , if any one can explain what thats used for and could it interfear with the car running. also the check engine light does not light up when i turn the key on so i cant check the codes,
any more ideas or a sure fix would be greatly appreciated. i also wanted to mention that when running for the 20 seconds or 3 minutes
if i put my foot on the gas and rev it, it quits.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:27 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1995 avenger 2.0 D0Hc wont start

If you suspect the relay swap it with one of the others in the rack ...

Old 05-11-2007, 12:54 AM
sc.avenger

thanks for the reply , i tried switching relays around, and still nothing, the asd clicks a few times while cranking and it wants to start, meaning that it will almost fire up, but not enough to run, when it does run after it catches, it will run for 20 seconds to 3 minutes, revs up a bit, or stays normal, and will just shut off, like i turned the key off.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:35 AM
cbccadet2002
Rookie

timing?

Quick Reply: 1995 avenger 2.0 D0Hc wont start