1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Buying Avenger need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 03:07 AM
speedracer1987
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Avenger need advice!

So heres the deal, my friend has a 1996 Dodge Avenger that Im thinking about buying from him for $1000. The car is basically a show car.. heres the specs:
lowered
new toyo tires with 18" rims
slotted rotors front and back and calipers painted
sound system
leather interior
custom paint with race stripes
moon roof
newer 3.0 v6 engine with only 30k on it
cold air intake
msd ignition system
upgraded torque converter
aftermarket instrument cluster and painted interior
upgraded exhaust
alarm system
The only thing is that the car itself has 165k on it and it needs a new transmission, rack and pinion, and apparently there is a hole in the exhuast by the cat converter. So im just trying to figure out if its worth buying and with all the miles on it and the work that Im going to have to do to it. Please give me any advice, opinions, and if anyone has any idea about how much it would cost to have these things done to it let me know. Thanks
~L

Old 05-27-2007, 06:45 AM
blackvenge34
Veteran
Default RE: Buying Avenger need advice!

depends with all the custom work seems like 1000 aint bad but then again a new trans can cost a pretty penny is this going to be a car u need for a while or just for now till you get a better one and check the blue book value if its more then 1000 then it might be worth it

Old 05-27-2007, 11:11 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: speedracer1987

So heres the deal, my friend has a 1996 Dodge Avenger that Im thinking about buying from him for $1000. The car is basically a show car.. heres the specs:
lowered
new toyo tires with 18" rims
slotted rotors front and back and calipers painted
sound system
leather interior
custom paint with race stripes
moon roof
newer 3.0 v6 engine with only 30k on it
cold air intake
msd ignition system
upgraded torque converter
aftermarket instrument cluster and painted interior
upgraded exhaust
alarm system
The only thing is that the car itself has 165k on it and it needs a new transmission, rack and pinion, and apparently there is a hole in the exhuast by the cat converter. So im just trying to figure out if its worth buying and with all the miles on it and the work that Im going to have to do to it. Please give me any advice, opinions, and if anyone has any idea about how much it would cost to have these things done to it let me know. Thanks
~L
I agree with BlackVenge.

The miles doesn't mean a whole lot since milage count is really more towards the motor and since it's been rebuilt with a 3.0L parts, that 165k is more towards the body. I have about 130k on my Venge's body and it doesn't creek or pop nor does it have rust on it....yet (Hawaii is sure going to put rust on the underside of my car, lol). What's wrong with the steering to need a new rack and pinion? That's nothing a junkyard can't fix.
What's wrong with the tranny? Is it in limp mode? Is it slipping?
The exhaust can be fixed with a just adding a catback, unless it's before the cat. Regardless, if you want the stock exhaust, you could always have that section cut out and a new section welded in.

Again, I agree with BlackVenge about the pricing.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:21 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems OK on pricing but the tranny can be pretty expensive ... $1000 to $3000 depending on whats wrong .... So plan on adding a pile of money to get that fixed...

Old 05-28-2007, 03:40 PM
speedracer1987

Well there is a sound that almost sounds like birds chirping that comes from under the hood off and on, apparently a repair shop said that it was either the transmission or the torque converter and the torque converter is fairly new so we decided it was probably the transmission. The transmission actually does shift fine and nothing seemed wrong when I drove it. I was looking online and I found a rack and pinion for about $250. So after I replace the rack and pinion and repair the exhaust I think the transmission can probably wait and everything else is minor repairs. Blue book price for the vehicle is roughly $2500. I think I might be happy to say that coming soon I am going to be an owner of a 1996 dodge avenger es... I just have to sell my dodge neon first.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:51 PM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran

Nice Speedracer, sounds like a pretty good deal to me also... u should post some pix of it up on the forum when u get it

Old 05-29-2007, 05:50 PM
speedracer1987

Here are the pics, enjoy!

Old 05-29-2007, 10:13 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Thats Shagvengers old car (asog/Asec member Nick).... My drunken butt mounted that spoiler at Carlisle ...

Old 05-29-2007, 10:18 PM
speedracer1987

Yup, it sure is. Nicks a good friend of mine, and im also good friends with the guy the he sold it to that is selling it to me, but its definately a good looking car.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:23 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Quick Reply: Buying Avenger need advice!