1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

update on my venge

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:22 PM
ProjectRed95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update on my venge

ok it's been a lil while and my venge is now with me...let me rephrase that it's in the same town but now in the shop!We got it running by replacing the fuel pump ,(in my previous post we had just replaced the fuel pump and filter and it still didn't start,I was bout to shell out unnecessary cash on dist!)the one we put in it was a bad , replaced it againand when I went to pick it up I took it for a test drive, bout 5 miles down the road it started to over heat. Replaced the thermo and still overheating,water pump and timing belthave already changed.The guys at the shop flushed it once and it's still getting hot!! Hey badveng what's the deal with changing out the cap? Also there are no leaks that I've seen.Any thing else ? and how accurate is looking for bubbles or smoke w/ cap off to see bout the gasket?

Old 08-14-2007, 09:40 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: update on my venge

cap holds pressure , bad cap doesn't hold enough pressure less pressure= boilover ...at lower temps ...
carbon monoxide detector shows combustion leaks

Old 08-15-2007, 06:13 PM
ProjectRed95

what about all the stopp leak that was put in before the 2 flushes? is it poss that the radiator needs to be replaced?? or keep flushing until all the stop leak is gone? The shop heretakes FOREVER, ? bout the head gasket how hard is that and if I was to have someone to do it bout how much you think? and lastley if there is head damage should i get a new motor or maybe 3.0 swap? I saw where silvercoupe had said that you get bout 40 more h.p. with the 3.0 swap.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:48 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'd try the $6/$10 radiator cap first ... then get back to us ...

Old 08-16-2007, 10:31 PM
ProjectRed95

ok cap was changed. Now let me list new parts...thermostat x2, thermo gasket, radiator flush x2!,new water pump, timing belt,oh yeah and a new cap!!! What gives??should i replace the radiator? because thats next on my mind!!it is going in to a different shop hopefully today, need more input and I'm gettin frustrated!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:37 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Did it still overheat ???

Old 08-17-2007, 07:29 PM
ProjectRed95

yup,A guy adjusted the timing and it still got hot when he got it on the highway,got a free radiator for it and it will be swapped in the morn. I'll let you guys know somethin 2 morrow, hopefully

Old 08-18-2007, 12:27 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Hope he knew not to keep driving it until the motor shut off on him...yikes.
Stop leak should be and is only a temp solution. The radiator may not have stop leak stopping it up, but the other parts of the passages might.
How well does the heater work?
One question, was the cooling system flushed with the same coolant? In other words, did the folks that flushed it, keep with the green colored coolant?...or was it mixed with the orange/red stuff?
Never mix those two or it will gel up in the passages.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:08 PM
ProjectRed95

I was told the heater core is out, there is a gurgling sound everyonce in awhile. So when I turned the heat on it was simply blowing air that was not hot.And about the flush,I put in the antifreeze stuff that can mix and be o.k. But I don't know what it was flushed with. If it is mixed wrong then will it ever work itself out? Is it possible that even if the radiator is replaced that it will still overheat?If my credit was decent I would go get me a new one!!LOL!! I had an '06 altima but got rid of it cause my payment was over 500.00 mo. Now I got a decent job but I don't want the huge payment so the faster I get her running the less tempted I'll be to go get a monthly payment!!!!

Old 08-19-2007, 08:18 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

There's nothing wrong with the green coolant. Yes, there are some 5 year ones that state that you can mix them, but the price of coolant bottles once a year is far less than trying to clear the gelled up coolant in all the passages that coolant goes through, worse case is overheating from poor fluid flow or no fluid flow at all. Mind you, some of those passages are pretty small.

Yes, if you've got gel in your cooling system, your car will still overheat unless it's all fully removed....fully...removed.
Did you know that the differences in coolants are because of the differences in the metals used in motors and how those metals react with the waters used in their particular regions? Google coolant fluid or Dexcool and you'll learn to stay with what came with the car initially.
Never mix them up unless you can completely flush the old stuff out from every passage and that you know what kinds of materials are used within your motor....here's a rule of thumb....If you've got a European car, you can use Dexcool products. If you've got a US/Japanese car, stick with the green stuff.
Although, there are some Domestic cars that use Dexcool, but again, stick with what came with the car from the factory.

Quick Reply: update on my venge