1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Another Overheating thread =(

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 01:14 AM
UGSAce
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Overheating thread =(

Well Here's my story...

The Other day i was going into town and i had my windows rolled down.

Then i got hot and decided to turn on the AC, I then noticed that it was

not as cold as it usually was so i hit the button that turns the AC from

Cold To Colder and it fixed it for a few min. Then i decided to pull into a

gas station and see if i could fix it well i couldn't so i went and got a

Jones Soda and decided i should go home instead of continue into town

which ended up being a good idea. Then about half way home i notice the

engine temp gauge is all the way to the top! but i have had problems with

that gauge before being inaccurate so i just kept driving and the car was

acting normal tell i was getting ready to go up a hill it made some strange

noises so I quick pulled off onto a side street and stopped and my car died

and i see white smoke coming out from under the hood needless to say

my car over heated so i had it towed home let it cool off for the night

added more oil b/c i seemed to have burnt up quite a bit from driving it.

Then i decided to try and start the car up and see what happens and ill let

the video explain what happened.

since my AC stopped working would that have anything to do with my car over heating? or is it just a coincidence (spelling)

I also took some pics

The First 3 pics appear to be some sort of gears i took these b/c alot of smoke was coming out of that i don't know what they do but hopefully someone hear can tell me that

The 4th pic appears to be the water pump but I'm not sure if that's it or not if it is it anyway to see if its working correctly?

and the very last pic is of those gear things or w/e they are...

So if anyone could help me figure out whats wrong with my car that would be sweet !

and of course thank you!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:15 AM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker
Default RE: Another Overheating thread =(

I hate to be the one to tell you this but I think you blew your head gasket. Check your oil if there is a white milky stuff in it thats coolant. The Gear things are your Timing Gears if smoke was coming from there chance are you hopefully just blew you water pump. I'm hoping that the video was wrong and your valves didn't hit you heads judging by that noise. Sounded like you engine just crapped out. I don't knowon an I4 I never did a headgasket so I don't knowwhich is cheaper and if after you fix it will it still be able to run.

I had the samething happen to me I was in traffic and the AC died and the temp wentup. I shut her off till I was able to move again then pulled over and walked to Walmart and got sum 50/50 dexcool I din't know res tank was orange who knew it was rust. LOL! But my Coolant cap jamed casing her to over heat. When I didn't break my water pump sumtime later I head a weard noise coming from the belt side of the engine the car wouldn't warm up for nothing and I had no heat.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:42 PM
UGSAce

ORIGINAL: PappiDread6

I hate to be the one to tell you this but I think you blew your head gasket. Check your oil if there is a white milky stuff in it thats coolant. The Gear things are your Timing Gears if smoke was coming from there chance are you hopefully just blew you water pump. I'm hoping that the video was wrong and your valves didn't hit you heads judging by that noise. Sounded like you engine just crapped out. I don't knowon an I4 I never did a headgasket so I don't knowwhich is cheaper and if after you fix it will it still be able to run.

I had the samething happen to me I was in traffic and the AC died and the temp wentup. I shut her off till I was able to move again then pulled over and walked to Walmart and got sum 50/50 dexcool I din't know res tank was orange who knew it was rust. LOL! But my Coolant cap jamed casing her to over heat. When I didn't break my water pump sumtime later I head a weard noise coming from the belt side of the engine the car wouldn't warm up for nothing and I had no heat.
well thanks for the response can anyone else agree or disagree with him?

Old 08-15-2007, 05:38 PM
JokerzVeng
Rookie

well judging by all the rust on your cam sprockets id have to say uve had a leak up there 4 quite awhile theres noway that all that rust can b from general corrosion even if u live on roads that are covered in salt all the time. and the pic u say u think is your water pump is your A/C pump. i would bet pretty much everything in the world that you now have a severly blown headgasket and it has been leaking for many months before then..sorry about your luck hopefully u didnt damage the valvetrain..;(

Old 08-16-2007, 12:37 AM
UGSAce

Well **** lol today i looked at it again and now my car wont even start up and i opened up the timing belt again and tried to start it and my timing belt did not move at all so could my timing belt be broken also?

P.S my car is only worth about 2,000 bucks running Lol... should i just sell it as it is or try to fix it I'm not really wanting to spend 1,000 bucks to repair it i don't think it would be worth it and from what I'm told at work Head Gaskets are expensive[&o]

and of course thanks for the help and more opinions are gladly appreciated

Old 10-03-2007, 01:08 PM
95_dodge_avenger
Rookie

yes ur timming belt could be broken, when u replace the beld, u should replace the water pump, i have a 2.0 engine, and what happened with mine, is the water pump was going out, than it sized up on the timming belt, it wasnt pretty, it did also damage my head gasket, but no damage was done to the head, so yea, id replace the timming belt and water pump, its like 70 dollars at autozone for both

Quick Reply: Another Overheating thread =(