1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Transmission Acting Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 06:57 AM
akaaceman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Acting Up

I'm full of questions this morning!
My transmission has been acting funny for possibly the whole time I've owned my car, but I don't think I really noticed it until it started getting worse. One thing that I think may have been addressed is the weird clicking noise as I slow down and it shifts into first. An odd problem, though, is that when the tranny shifts from second to third and from third to O/D, it seems to hesitate in the middle. I can see it on the tach and I can hear it in my exhaust when it happens. It's almost like the transmission has trouble making up its' mind whether or not to shift in those situations. This happens pretty much no matter what. Whether I'm ***** deep or trying to save gas by easing on the accelerator. The last problem is that sometimes, when the tranny decides to shift into overdrive, it will almost immediately shift back into third because the RPMs aren't high enough. When this happens, I'm not changing how far i press on the gas, but it is usually when I'm not giving it too much to begin with. Could any of these be fixed without replacing the tranny and, if I have to replace it, how hard would it be to switch from an auto to a manual on a V6? I think I've read it can't be done with FWD, but if it can I would love to know how. I appreciate the help!

Old 08-16-2007, 02:30 PM
missy88087
Default RE: Transmission Acting Up

It sounds like your problem is how mine would have started if I had the car from the start. Cant offer you any advice I just posted my problem a while ago. But if you get any answers please send them to me and I will do the same. I just got the car this weekend and it has been a disaster! Good luck!

Old 08-18-2007, 10:33 PM
m_laney06

My tranny does the same thing. I have a 96 2.5L with an automatic. I've always wanted to swap to a 5spd but i never have the time to figure out how. Yours sounds a little worse than mine though. I'd check your tranny fluid and maybe flush it out and see if that helps.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:33 PM
95_dodge_avenger
Rookie

have the shift soleniod checked out at a transmission place

Old 10-07-2007, 08:30 AM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

I agree with the shift soleniod. Also see if youcan getur trans flushed or is it too late. Hopefully you don't need a rebuild.

Bad news there is no manual trans that will bolt up to the v6 motors nor is there a 6speed trans that will bolt up to the I4. Im not sure but I think BV's 3.0L swap is an auto.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:03 AM
thankuhal
Professional

Sounds like you need to get your tranny module reflashed. Call your dealership asap to see if there is an updated flash availble.

[IMG]local://upfiles/71292/2D279B64D5ED43F1BDF1011F02781FD6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I would ck the fluid level and color. And ck for transmission codes with a scanner. If no codes you ask someone at the dealer if there are any updates, before replacing parts.

Quick Reply: Transmission Acting Up