1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

4g63-t EVO 5

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 05:49 PM
mimesis7803
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4g63-t EVO 5

Will this motor fit or is it only the GSX motor that will work? I also found a 4g63-t Evo 4 for 2200. The EVO 5 is 3000. I'm still searching right now to see what the major differences are between the 3. But i'm just interested to know if the engine mounts are in the same locations. As of right now i'm saving my pennies to do the AWD conversion.

so far this is the only luck i've found in my searches. This was taken from a 95-99 Eclipse forum.

"you can put the evo 8 motor in the 95-99 rs and gs model that has a 420a i will postup pictures soon i have a 4g63t from a wrecked evo 8 in my 1997 eclipse rs had to use gst fwd transmission also and gst wire harness but bolts right up"

So that said since i have the 420a in the Avenger and the GSX conversion has been done that this will work? Because if so i'm going this route. 275hp sounds alot nicer to me straight from the stock motor.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:45 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: 4g63-t EVO 5

Here's the issue though. There hasn't been any documented conversion of any of the EVO 4-9 motor swaps into the Eclipse/Talon/Avenger/Sebring engine bay. You also can't use the Eclipse GSX rear with the redesigned 4g63 because of gearing differences, so you will have to fab the rear along with the suspension components of the EVO. Whether it be from the Mirage body or the Lancer. BTW, the body is Lancer from EVOs 4-9 but in the states the Lancer is called Mirage until it was officially designated in the states as Lancer.
Anyhoot. Don't rely on the motors being in the same place as there could be millimeters of difference in mounting distances and so, you'll still have to fab the mount. Don't go by stock HP as that's to the crank AND, both versions of the 4g63 are highly modifiable. Going by stock output is asinine, don't referrence the output. It's fine to referrence it as a starting point but not the reason. Again, both version are very powerful and both can be taken to pretty high levels....and yes, there are 4 GSX powered Avengers roaming the streets as we speak. Mine seems to be the only daily driven though. BV, do you have info on this? Jason, who did my conversion, is currently rebuilding his GSX 4g63 with a 2.4L block and then doing the necessary process to get it to become a 2.5L turbo AWD Avenger. That 2.4L has torque. It's kind of like having the SRT-4 2.4L but with AWD.

BTW, I've seen pics of two 2G Eclipses with the 2nd generation 4g63 (EVOs 4-9) but they were FWD and they were old pics from Japan. So, will it fit? Sure. If you have the time and funds, I say go for it bro, but you're on your own unless you can get in contact with those Japan boys that did it or had it done (whoever they are or whatever shop those Eclipses came from). There are currently, no one in the states with the knowledge put together in one "book". You will have to get your spec info from different sources.

I say go for it and do an E-diary on the build up
Good luck with this project bro.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:55 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Further more...there's the electronics of the EVO 4-9 that you have to take into account. You'll have to entirely gut the Avenger's wiring in favor of the EVOs to include all the gauges. You can do this by using the basic wiring and using a stand alone computer with aftermarket gauges like Autometer or fabbing up the EVOs dash into the Avenger's. With a GSX it's a matter of swapping harnesses, ECU, and the gauge cluster.
In essence, you'll be putting in a whole different car into your Avenger if you use the EVO as your donor. It's an entirely different platform. Just like swapping in a V8. You'll only have a shell to work with and everything else is fabbed to accommodate the different motor and electronics.

Yes, it will be a pain, but if you can do it. It will be well worth the effort. Although, a GSX powered Avenger is more within reach of completion and that version can be made to go up against the second version. The first 4g63 verision just has a lot of aftermarket and local support.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:11 PM
mimesis7803

well that being said do you know any sites of people buying the EVO 4g63t and using the internals/heads on the GSX 4g63t? Essentially the same block i would imagine, as of right now i'm in the infant stage of this project i still need more info on the motors. I know back 2 months ago my friend ordered all the internals for an Acura RSX type-R to put in his Type-S and we got that all back together running at 10k redline thanks to hondata, the guy tuning hondata at carlisle said he could get it to 11.5k before he started losing hp, but he wanted to make it last atleast for a little while.

However comparing DSM to Honda is like apples to oranges. But for right now it's an idea. Since the wiring will be a pain if i can just swap internals, that'd be my alternate route to essentially the EVO motor.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:33 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Well, the two heads are different. The 2nd version is flipped over to the passenger side. The exhaust and intake are still oriented the same, so you won't be able to take the 2nd version head and put it onto the 1st version or vice versa. Meaning that the EVO 4g63 exhaust is facing forward and so is the DSM 4g63 and both motor's cams face the opposite direction.
There's another benefit to using a DSM motor over an EVO motor....price to mod. DSMs are less expensive to mod as opposed to the EVO motor since it's new to American money.

BTW, for roughly $3k for a turbo and supporting mods, 275hp at the wheels is not hard to get from a DSM motor. After I install my water/alky injection, I should be able to run 23psi from my little FPBig28 safely. I should be pulling the full amount of about 520-530 CFM through the intake. That should be fun and it should pull pretty hard for a small turbo.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:45 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is one evo motor process that I know of ... the ecusensors are the main trouble he's a fabrication genius but blows on wiring .... I've spent weeks over trying to crossbread the wiring harnesses ...The motor had dyno slips for 400+, it was an ex bushur racing car... so far we have yet to get it to fire ...

Old 08-29-2007, 08:12 AM
mimesis7803

alright well i was asking around at work (i work with a few electrical engineers) and i asked them how they would go about doing an EVO swap and i gave the details. We both thought of the same idea, why can't you just get the EVO motor, Tranny, Wiring harness, ECU and plug the engine wiring harness in. Then after that get the wiring schematics and diagrams for the EVO and for the GSX. Finally take the connectors for the interal wiring (speakers, brakes, accessories, lights, gauges, etc.) and cut them off. And splice in the EVO connectors?

Basically why i'm trying to stay Evo is because i want to be different. Yes i know it's still a 4g63t however, it ws tuned much better than the normal DSM. Not to mention i'll be possibly the only person in the world with an Avenger Evo V lol

Old 08-29-2007, 10:37 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He cut the entire front wiring harness out of the EVO it SOUNDS easy but in reality it's a nightmare ... The wiring Diagram from Mitsu doesnot Match color codes ect THe trouble is that you have to trace each wire to find out what it REALLY goes to and does .... The interconnects seem OK but the sensors and wiring running into the cabin are far different then what is on the diagram ...
As mentioned he HAS been working on this for nearly two years ... So I KNOW you won't be the ONLY one ...

Old 08-29-2007, 09:40 PM
mimesis7803

You guys know any good sites that will show the full scematics of the EVO and full Schematics for the Avenger. I know it sounds easy, i know it won't be easy, but i do'nt think it will take me 2 years to figure out what needs to go where either.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:40 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: mimesis7803
We both thought of the same idea, why can't you just get the EVO motor, Tranny, Wiring harness, ECU and plug the engine wiring harness in. Then after that get the wiring schematics and diagrams for the EVO and for the GSX.

Basically why i'm trying to stay Evo is because i want to be different. Yes i know it's still a 4g63t however, it ws tuned much better than the normal DSM. Not to mention i'll be possibly the only person in the world with an Avenger Evo V lol
Why would you cross the GSX into the equation? That just makes it even more complicated. Keep it simple...EVO --> Avenger.
Why stop at a 4g63 out of an EVO V when you can go with a VIII or IX? If you're going to go all out, don't stop at the V.

Have you seen a bundle of wiring out of a car? Lol. It's a nightmare. There's a reason why it's called a rat's nest.
Volume 2 of the shop manual may help for the Avenger's wiring, but the schematics can get really busy and confusing. I would imagine it being the same for an EVO.
I'll stick with recommendation of a GSX swap over an EVO swap. Perhaps an EVO 4-7 swap into a Mitsu Mirage, since the vehicles are the same and the harnesses are similar, but I think a stand alone ECU would be better/easier than the stock ECU. 1 year is a project, anymore than that is just a good shell sitting around, imo.

Neither one of us are trying to stop you from doing a swap like this, we're just saying that it's going to be harder than you might think it to be. I wouldn't recommend just doing it, I would recommend doing the research first, as you're trying to do now.
Just know that there will be a lot of dead ends, since there isn't many that would try this swap as it is not an easy one. Especially since you're going with the stock ECU route.

Quick Reply: 4g63-t EVO 5