1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Busted Fuel door.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 05:16 PM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Busted Fuel door.

Ok.. so heres the deal. i went to the gas station today blah blah blah and pulled the nozzle out of the gas tank and broke the black piece on the left side of the gas tank.. and now my fuel door is stuck closed unless i hold handle and have someone open it.. so anywyas i rigged it with wire ties for now but i was just wondering if anyone sells the piece that i broke... its a fairly large black peice on the left side of the tank when u open the fuel door.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:17 PM
SlicedBread
Default RE: Busted Fuel door.

Its only the spring that pops open the lid. I actually I lost that piece a while ago and just recently jacked one from a car at a junk yard. If you dont really want to try and scavange for one or McGyver another one you can always just bend the latch a little inward so that its not catching the lock too much and then you can push it open from the other side.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:41 PM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran

yea i thought about bending the latch but knowing me i would screw somthing up and have to replace more crap... so i just decided to rig it with wire ties and it seems to work fine and it puts enough tension on the door to pop it open but i just dont know how well the ties will hold up. come to think of it i have never seen a spring on the fuel door? and i never saw a spring pop off when it happened. it was just a little black piece that broke off. but ive never seen a spring.?? hmm.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:56 PM
SlicedBread

The black part was the spring, when you closed the fuel lid it would compress then when you pull the lever near your seat it would retract the rod holding the door in place and the spring would pop it open.

No spring means it wont pop out, so when you let go of the lever the rod goes back in place and it is essentially locked, it is metal so it should bend without too much trouble.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:46 PM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran

ok thanks alot slicedbread ill try to get to a junk yard and see if they have what i need. thanks for the help

Old 08-30-2007, 03:52 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can always snag one off a used car lot ...test drive it ...

Quick Reply: Busted Fuel door.