1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

4g63-t swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 06:45 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 4g63-t swap

What motor is currently in it I4 or V6???

Old 10-08-2007, 06:57 AM
BurlesonDakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its the I4 with a 5speed.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:22 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

If you wanted to do the swap, you would have to remove the entire motor and old drivetrain.
I would suggest having a donor 95-99 Eclipse GSX or 95-98 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (same car, just rebadged) and have it sitting next to the project car for reference. You'll have to fab up or use the donor car's motor mounts. The computer of the Avenger will have to go and the Eclipse will have to go in. The location will also differ. Then there's the matter of the driveshaft. There's a lot more to it, but I don't know the complete details. It's really not a bad project if you have the tools, time, money, and patience.
In the end, it's a pretty fun car with a lot of potential and it's a sleeper

Old 10-09-2007, 10:19 AM
josef15111
Veteran

i dont know about taken power but i would see it as putting more power to the ground your not sitting there sping out you just rip it and get it... i would love to drive silvers car for a hour LOL

Joe

Old 10-17-2007, 10:38 AM
castlesavenger

Hey, I have a 98 dodge avenger that i was sick of puttin money into a 200000km motor, so i decided to do the 4g63T swap, with a used motor from tiger japan, used FWD Limited slip tranmission, used front shafts, new mounts, downpipe, inner cooler, 2.5" inner cooler, exhaust piping, and the labour for the swap. Im payin around 6500-7000$ CDN and i have no idea if this is in the right price range! some people are telling me that im payin too much.
any opinions would be appreciated and if u can get back to me asap it would be great
thanks

Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like these are two different cars ... Silvers is All Wheel Drive, using the GSX transfer case

Old 10-17-2007, 10:43 AM
castlesavenger

No same motor, his is just AWD conversion, mine is converted to front wheel. I have the Gen2 Grey top Talon turbo Motor with a front wheel drive tranny but these guys doing it seem like there shafting me..

Old 10-17-2007, 11:04 AM
castlesavenger

Is there any websites or, any way of contacting shops that have info on a FWD 4g63T conversion in the avenger cause im losing it with these guys and i need answers fast and reliable, they've had my car for 3 months and i've paid them 5500$ CDN and motor isnt even in yet!

Old 10-17-2007, 07:07 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

That seems about right as far as labor costs. Time frame is about right too. You have to remember that all the wiring from the cabin, forward has to be removed and replaced that includes the computer. Unless you removed everything inside the Talon and replaced all the electrical connector in your Avenger with the Talon's, the shop maybe facing wire tracing. That can be fun. I know Jason had taillight issues because the Eclipse has a three bulb (per side) harness and that caused some lighting issues. The Talon uses a two bulb harness like ours but the molex plug maybe different.
If they don't have an Eclipse or Talon sitting nearby for visual reference and possible spare parts, it can cause the engine mock up/mount fabbing to take longer too. The motor wasn't a 'direct fit' because of our hoods not having the timing cover bulge. If they haven't figured it out yet, they will have to trim away part of the bracket under there to fit the cover (I don't recommend driving around without one). The timing belt cover will rub the underside of the hood unless you get stiffer motor mounts on the driver's side and the front or replace all the rubber motor mount inserts. The crossmember will also have to be extended.

All in all, it's nothing impossible, but if you get a shop with no experience with this type of swap, it will take them longer. It's not like swapping motors in a Honda where just about every shop has done or can get information from. So, you may have to be a little more patient with these guys..as long as there's still progress and they are being honest with you. This swap does have it's hidden fees if the installer doesn't see it coming.

What have these guys done so far anyhow?

Old 10-18-2007, 01:55 AM
castlesavenger

Ok thanks, cause it seems like forever and i just want my baby back..! they do have an eclipse that they can mock off of and possibly steal parts from(which is the shop owner) He knows quite a bit about talons/eclipses so on and so forth but then your right its not like any other motor swap, it is difficult with a few curve *****. in total they want about 6700$ for the total swap. (cnd$)

As far as what they've done, they cut part part of the from on both sides for the motor to fit, and have about 40-50% of the wire issues down pat. They should've had the mounts mocked in by today atleast. but other then that nothing toooo much has been done. Is there a way the shop could contact you if they have serious problems from now on out? they have bad research connections. Thanks for the help

PS i bet the awd conversion rips up the ashpault! cant wait to have mine down and on the street! Do you know anyone who has a swap done like this in canada?

Quick Reply: 4g63-t swap