1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

4g63-t swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 03:59 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4g63-t swap

There's no real hang ups with a TSi or GS-T swap. The mounts, extension, electrical, are the norms of motor swaps of this nature I would think. The mechanical issues of bracing are spotted pretty quickly once the mock up is done. The hood clearance will be noticed as soon as the hood is put back into place and is attempted to be closed. The AWD conversion is just an extension of the headaches, lol, but still pretty straight forward and there's a write up on that online too. I think I've even noted it somewhere in one of these threads similar to this one.
The cutting that they did is normal. Since both motors of the Avenger/Sebring are mounted on the passenger side, the mounts are not in the right place for the 4G63 motor...so, they have to be removed and the Talon's mounting locations need to be used.

BTW, I paid $6500 for the donor car/rebuild/labor, so you're not that far off.

And having AWD in this heavy body is nice. One bit of advice, when you upgrade you turbo, go med to big in turbo sizing. Forget about the 16G variants because our bodies are a bit longer and we're a bit heavier, the wheels will have a tendancy to spin out more than a GS-T or TSi. That and it will pay off on highway/interstate runs. Now if you go with an AWD conversion later an EVO 3 16G will be a perfect match for it. Remember that the smaller turbos spool up fast (2.3k-3.5k RPMs) and without traction, your wheels will just spin.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:41 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

I still don't belive that. Im sorry but $6,500 for an AWD swap. You sure you did'nt get a hook up or sumthin? If thats the case I can get it done next year!!

Old 10-22-2007, 06:30 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I did get a deal though Pappi. Mine was only the 2nd swap, so it was still being promoted and I was the first ballsy one to get it done by Redefined Rides. I had experience on my side though with those guys doing it. I only worried about time since the money was already invested. I just had to wait for Jason and he had school, work, life, and my car to deal with. That's full time + and he did it by himself for a good portion of the time. I don't regret getting it done and certainly don't regret him doing it. I was frustrated at first with the length of time it took, but looking back at it now...I was just excited and being impatient. Even if I had the tools and materials, I'm certain it would take me as long as it did because I don't like to cut corners and I like to do a lot of research being attempting anything.
AWD and turbo give the Avenger a new feel and more *****, not to mention more potential. In the whole grand scheme of swaps for our platform, the 4G63 swap is probably the hardest to accomplish due to the fabbing required to make it work. It's also the most satisfying out of the rest of the swap when the AWD portion accompanies the 4g63 swap (it can be done anytime after the motor too).
I'm not going to knock the other swaps because they accomplish something that the original motors don't (well, except for the 420a, there's potential there too...really there is) and that's give our cars the potential.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:01 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remember thats a motor, tranny, AWD unit , rear end replacement, custom drive shafts and drive shaft mounts, front end driveshaft works,as well as a complete wiring harness transplant ... minus the "donor car" the labor is very fair ...

Old 10-22-2007, 07:17 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

I was just trippin cuz I exspect to spend more. So what to do with the extra 3 grand?

Old 01-09-2008, 01:34 PM
castlesavenger

Hey i have a few questions i need to ask about my 98 avenger 4g63-t fwd swap..

Will i have to remove interior and exterior wiring harness and replace with the full talon or eclipse harness?
I i have Gen 2 4g63 with a FWD tranny(gen 1) Do you know if that matters? cause the tranny is cable and i was wondering if theres a kit for to convert to electric?

And lastly will the drivers side shock tower be strong enough to support the motor itself with out any reinforcing?
or will it have to be reinforced as to the fabrication of the bracket that has to be placed on it?

Quick Reply: 4g63-t swap